creating test site with snapshot

Can I use snapshot pro to clone an exact duplicate of my current site-with EVERYTHING the same. Am guessing it of course would be a new site address
Current site address: http://www.mysite.com
Wordpress address: http://www.mysite.com/blog

I currently also have WP set up at test.mysite.com

I want to be able to test things and not break(again) production site

or would the a plugin like duplicator be better suited

Thanks

• Windwalker
    • Flash Drive

Just want to make sure, there should be no issues with doing this when all are on the same hosting company. the only reason I ask is, the title says-
    Moving your site to a different server-or to a different kind of WordPress installation

Thanks

• Windwalker
    • Flash Drive

Can I just copy public_html/blog/wp-content to /public_html/test/blog/wp-content
    (or just the theme and plugin folders to make sure I have exact themes(including child) and plugins)
    or
    do I need to physically install plug-ins(24) on test.mysite.com

Thanks
    Kinda new to all this, just want to get it right-without too many headaches

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Windwalker!

If you prefer to go with "manual" setup I'd do it a bit differently. Instead of copying just selected folder I'd follow these steps:

As an example, I'm assuming that the "live" site is under "site.com" domain inside root folder of that domain (that'd be "/public_html") and test site will be under "site.com/test" url in "test" subfolder ("/public_html/test").

1. create "/public_html/test" folder
    2. copy ALL files and folders (everything except "test" folder and non-WP content) from "/public_html" to "/public_html/test"
    3. create a new database
    4. use phpMyAdmin to export entire database from "live" (site.com) database to a file
    5. use phpMyAdmin to import that file to the new database
    6. in "/public_html/test" update db access credentials using hostname, db name, login and password for new database
    7. update all links in new database using this script:

https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

The script is well documented and very easy to use. After it's up and running use "site.com" as value of "replace" field and "site.com/test" as value of "with" filed, then hit "Dry run" to test whether changes go fine. Next hit "Live" and your db will be updated.

Make sure that you're running this script on NEW (test) database! Once this is done you should end up with fully replicated test site under "site.com/test" URL.

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Windwalker
    • Flash Drive

For others who may read this
    I decided to just install my plugins on the test platform as it gave me a good time to review what I had installed on production and if I really needed them

I did run into an issue install the WPMU dash board
    followed the instructions here
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/unable-to-login-to-the-wpmudev-dashboard
    using the files from github

All appears to be working okay
    Now time to see about moving my snapshot over to test.com

• Windwalker
    • Flash Drive

Well that didn't go quite the way I'd hoped
    Created the snapshot and restored the snapshot, closely following(I think) the instructions that are shown in the first post.

the test.com site comes up
    1. But I must use credentials for live site to log in(understandable)
    2. the banner on dashboard shows name of live site site-???
    3. None of photos/pics are appearing
    4. test layout is missing many widgets from live

ETA: seems my test child-theme was very outdated
    Updated it and widgets layout is working

so leaves 2 and 3 as needing some work

Pointers?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Windwalker!

2. the banner on dashboard shows name of live site site-???

This is a "1:1" copy and that's perfectly fine. Consider it a "clone" of you live site :slight_smile: Since the site is up and running, you may simply change its configuration and it won't affect your live site.

3. None of photos/pics are appearing

This actually is a bit of surprise. I'm not sure exactly how did you create a snapshot but is it possible that you didn't include all files? While you create a snapshot, there's an option to choose whether you'd like to include all of them or not. Can you please confirm that they were included?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Windwalker
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Adam
    I use/used chrome for one and slimjet for other to help avoid confusion
    anyway to change name on dashboard?

here is what notes say for snapshot
    Tables: (selected), 14 core, 8 non-core
    Files: (selected) Themes, Plugins, Media, Config

Seems that should have included images

I can see the image names in media library
    but no images
    color me confused....

• Windwalker
      • Flash Drive

Predrag
      Support access as been enabled

I have uploaded a couple of new images and they work fine in the media library.
      So it appears the DB got created

as far as the dashboard- the main Worpress dashboard-top left corner next to the WP logo-with the home symbol on it

Thanks
      Craig

• Windwalker
    • Flash Drive

I think I may have found the culprit
    here's is link from live site
    https://i0.wp.com/www.racks4records.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Racks4Records%20Single-Topper1.png

and link from test site
    http://test.racks4records.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Racks4Records%20Single-Topper1.png

believe jetpack's photon caused that
    But I didn't see anything in the instructions to disable that

Am guess I should just be able to disable photon on live site
    do a Snapshot of just media files and import
    BUT will await the guidance of the pros

Thanks

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Windwalker,

Thanks for the info provided.

I was doing some testing on my end based on the info provided and actually saw similar results when using Jetpack's Photon but I managed to fix it by simply going to Settings > Permalinks and saving my settings there without actually making any changes.

I wanted to try out on your end but unfortunately access is not working for some strange reason.
    Could you try following instructions above to update your permalinks, and if that doesn't work for you could you please revoke support access and grant it again so I can try accessing your test site again.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Windwalker
      • Flash Drive

Predrag
      I tried updating my permalink settings
      first by just clicking save changes-no success
      secondly by changing from post name to plain(save)-no success
      then back to post name-no success

I've clicked grant access in WPMU support dashboard
      Note: I did not see a place/way to revoke access

Thanks
      Craig

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Craig,

Can you go to WPMU DEV > Support panel and make sure that it looks like screenshot attached, you will see that Grant Support Access button is changed to green info box and above that you see revoke button.

When Grant Support Access changes to green it means access is successfully granted.

Let me know when I can try accessing your site again.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Huh, looks like something is not letting support access to be granted on your site...
    Could you provide me with login details via our contact form, just make sure that it's the account that has access to dashboard and I'll have a look at both of these issues for you.

You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ and the template below:

IMPORTANT: Make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic so it doesn't go back to forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Craig,

Support access doesn't work because it looks like you are logged in with free account, can you go to WPMU DEV > Any submenu except dashboard, click on Logout button in top right corner and login in with the account you are using here on site.
    After that you should no longer see Upgrade notification under WPMU DEV > Dashboard panel and you will be able to grant access normally.

the main Worpress dashboard-top left corner next to the WP logo-with the home symbol on it

Not sure if I'm getting this right, can you check attached screenshot and tell me if that's the name you're looking to change?
    If yes, this can be changed from Settings > General by editing site "Site Title"

As for the main issue with your snapshot, I have downloaded the snapshot file you have on your site and after unzipping it and checking its content I don't see any media files in there, uploads folder is not in that snapshot.

Can you try creating another snapshot on your main site and make sure that media files are included, because now it looks like you have selected only plugins and themes to be exported.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Windwalker
    • Flash Drive

Predrag

Thanks, silly me having used log-in to free version.
    Access is granted on the site now

Yes I changed the name of the site-your screenshot was correct
    easy enough fix, had I known where to look-so that is taken care of-Thanks.

Am assuming if i take another shapshot that you would also like me to try and import/restore as well-is that correct?

Thanks
    Craig

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Windwalker!

I think if everything else is properly imported you could give it a try. You will want to create a new snapshot and in "What Files to Archive" section select "include selected file" and then check "Media Files: wp-content/uploads" check box.

Please note however that if this will not work well you may need to restore entire site once again from another new snapshot that would include "everything".

Best regards,
    Adam

• Windwalker
    • Flash Drive

well I tried just the media files-nope
    Tried a complete restore-nope
    Received the following message
    "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log."
    the fail occurred at 96% of wp_options > wp_options
    I did not include .htaccess file or wp-config.php in the sanpshot--- due to redirects and single-line of jetpack config
    I also did not include a theme to activate on import

Next suggestion(s)

Thanks
    Craig

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Craig,

I checked the new snapshot that's on your site but there are still no media files in there, just plugins and themes.

Can you respond to me on the email I've sent you and include login details to your main site where you're creating the snapshot so I could try creating one to see what's going on?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Craig,

I was doing some further testing on your site, I thought it might be related to size of uploads folder so I excluded snapshots2 folder from snapshot since it was the largest folder inside uploads but still had no luck.

I have forwarded this to our plugin developers to have a closer look since I'm all out of ideas, until they figure this one out I manually moved your images to your test site so images should work now.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Windwalker
    • Flash Drive

Predrag

Thanks for moving everything.

Good to know we both weren't losing our minds.
    I say if you're going to break something, do it right. Guess succeed there

Will you email me when they come up with something?

Thanks for all help/responses

Craig

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.