Creating theme via upfront builder -- what will happen to my current site?

Hopefully what I write will make sense...

I am creating a new theme via upfront builder right now

With my current upfront theme (luke and sara) - I didn't like much of the layouts - so I created my own (by adding elements)

QUESTION 1:
What will happen to my pages when I activate my new created theme via upfront builder? will some info stay and some info go?

QUESTION 2:
With my new theme - after I activate it... when I choose a new page/post -- will it take on the layout of the template I chose?

thank you

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello TheBeags,

QUESTION 1:
    What will happen to my pages when I activate my new created theme via upfront builder? will some info stay and some info go?

First - all content of your site is kept in database. So when you change your theme content will stay in database. So it is safe.
    So what happens when you change theme - to pages that are "normal" WordPress pages - they have inside a post content element, they have a default template - they will change looks, content will stay the same.
    When page is template - like Portfolio in Luke & Sara - template is created by draggable elements, like text elements and images - then with change of the theme, those pages will switch to default templates, so that content will "disappear".

QUESTION 2:
    With my new theme - after I activate it... when I choose a new page/post -- will it take on the layout of the template I chose?

Yes, this will be case with pages - with pages you will be able to chose from templates you created. With posts there is difference - it will use layout Single Generic - so this is only one layout for all your posts. Then, when you use Upfront editor to create new posts you will be able to change looks of those and save for all posts or for only one post.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• TheBeags

When page is template - like Portfolio in Luke & Sara - template is created by draggable elements, like text elements and images - then with change of the theme, those pages will switch to default templates, so that content will "disappear".

So how do I create/activate a new theme -- so i don't have to redo my entire website?
    is there a way to do this?

For instance - is there a way to keep some of my pages exactly how they are?
    e.g. all the "c1q1dp1" etc pages

• Rupok

Hi TheBeags,

how do I create/activate a new theme -- so i don't have to redo my entire website?
    is there a way to do this?

I'm not exactly clear. Do you mean, when you are creating a new theme, you don't want to redesign your existing pages? Or do you mean that after designing the new theme, when you switch back to your previous edited Luke + Sara theme, you won't have to redesign?

Suppose you have edited layouts of your Luke + Sara theme, then created a new theme via Builder and activated that, then designed that new theme. Now the moment you activate Luke + Sara theme again, every post/page will look like what you designed last in Luke + Sara. You won't have to redesign Luke + Sara again. When you activate your new theme, everything will look like the design you created during creating that new theme. But when creating new theme, you will have to design all page/post etc. layouts from scratch.

is there a way to keep some of my pages exactly how they are?

If you have lots of things in your Luke + Sara template that you want to keep exactly same, then you can edit Luke + Sara template with Upfront Builder and then export your customized Luke + Sara theme. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

But if you create a completely new theme with Builder, then I'm afraid, you will have to re-create all the post/page/archive/search/404 and other required layouts from the scratch.

Please let us know if you still have any confusion or if you are stuck at any point. We will be glad to assist further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nithin

Hi TheBeags,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Is it possible Skype with someone at some point? Like can I make an appointment?

I'm afraid, we only provide support only though our Support forums, or Live Support. Other than that, I'm afraid there isn't any other platform thorough which we offer our support services at the moment. You could make a screencast, and provide us a link to your video, so that we have a better idea regarding your issue.

Upfront builder is used to develop a theme, while Upfront editor is used to customize an existing theme. If I'm not mistaken, you meant to develop further the the existing Luke & Sara theme? You can do that via builder by clicking the Edit in Builder link.

Please do note that this will only work only if you haven't customized your theme using a Upfront editor, ie it will only work if Luke & Sara theme is new. Once you have finished working with builder, the theme can be customized using Upfront editor.

I hope this helps. Please do let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello TheBeags,

I'm afraid screencast is no longer there - Im getting 404 error.

IF i have to create all my pages again - I want to do it in a way so that if I build another theme OR use a different one -- I won't have to keep redoing all my work

Did you created your pages using Post Element (you clicked New page in Upfront editor and used default template) or in WordPress editor? If yes, then content of those pages will stay if you switch to new theme.
    If you used dragable element like text, widgets, images to create content on pages or edited specific templates - then this content will not stay with new theme, because those are templates that belong to one template.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello TheBeags,

So looking at the above video -- have I built my website completely wrong?

It is not wrong way - however it might look like when you want to move that whole content intact to another theme.
    When you use draggable elements you can created complicated layouts on page - different on every page or even in every post, and you can create them very easily - just by drag and drop.
    Creating those type of layouts is hard or sometimes even impossible in the normal WordPress editor.
    But that way you are creating custom templates only for your current theme.
    If you want to change themes often then you need to reconsider moving your content to WordPress editor (on your movie its the one place where you had soundcloud player embed).
    You can also use still Upfront Editor but the your content will have to be in the Post Data elements

Post Data is actual post content. This way - even if you change theme to default WordPress theme your content will be also available in that theme.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello TheBeags,

So if copy and paste all my information into the the element where the sound cloud is (even if it looks a shambles) -- when I switch it over, the information will go across?

Yes, that is correct.

also, can you have more than one Post Data box on the one page?

Please see here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/allow-content-splitting#post-1156468 - those are instruction on how to split post content into more chunks so you can insert more element between them.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.