Credit Card Update Failures

Team WPMU,

Whenever a member updates their credit card information, an entirely new account is created in STRIPE that is not connected to their site subscription.

This is happening at a 100% rate. EVERY UPDATE RESULTS IN FAILURE.

Sorry to bold cap that, but I really want to make this point. I've tried showing a video with directions to ensure the card is connected to the account. Doesn't matter. 100% failure.

I think there are two things going on. First, there is an issue with how Pro-Sites talks to STRIPE. I don't know what it is, but it is real, recurring, and frustrating.

Second, the default should always be to connect that card to their existing site subscription. Why that is not the default is beyond me -- it's a payment system for site subscriptions. If they are updating credit card information in that interface, it's 99.9% probable they want to actually renew their site subscription.

Please help me fix this and also please fix your plugin so this doesn't keep happening.

Thanks,
Rob

• Nastia

Hello jetmac

I hope you are doing well today!

I can't reproduce 100% this on my site.

I see that it does create a new customer on the stripe account, but I also can see the connection in the Subscription.

Would you please navigate from your Stripe dashboard to Customers, click on the newly created account that was created (the one that is not connected to the original) and scroll down to Events section.

Do you see any previous activity there?

Please advise,

Cheers,
    Nastia

• jetmac

Nastia,

The issue is that a new customer is created, they are charged to a plan, and that new customer number is showing on their Pro-Sites panel.

But, the information between the two is NOT working. The plan is being charged, but the site is being dropped. That is the nature of the disconnect -- people are being charged, but their site is not recognizing that it is happening.

I've tried a number of things -- even going back to the existing account and trying to update their credit card from the STRIPE Dashboard. But, again, the communication between Pro-Sites and STRIPE is not coherent, so the site subscription is cancelled at the renewal date.

I can't resolve this. It happens EVERY SINGLE TIME. There is no way for me to edit Pro-Sites to direct it to an updated or previous customer number. Nor is there any way to ensure that sites recognize that the new account is perfectly active.

Basically, the information is there -- Pro-Sites sees that there is a new customer number present and assigns it to the site. There is a corresponding customer number in STRIPE. However, when the site subscription period hits, the sites are cancelled.

The STRIPE event log DOES NOT show a cancellation in it's event log. It shows something like "a proration adjustment of $0.25 was created for ii_akjhsfghsd".

Pro-Sites DOES show a cancellation in it's event log, "expired email sent to".

The site in question (this time) is blog #41.

Support access is granted.

• jetmac

Sajid,

Yes, sadly, I do still need help with this. Just had two more recently re-upped customers "dropped" this week.

I think SLS is definitely warranted at this point.

Plus, and I really mean this, WPMU should really provide documentation on these issues. As we've been going through this process, it is obvious that the actions and relationship with STRIPE is not at all what I would have surmised. New records are created instead of updating existing ones, for example. I think that part of this problem is that as I try and make sense of it and take corrective action, it may actually be making it worse.

There really needs to be some kind of manual available that actually explains what's happening during the payment process and what troubleshooting efforts can be taken by site admins to make repairs.

Ignorance (largely on my part, I'm sure), is causing as much damage as anything else.

Support access is granted.

• Nastia

Hello jetmac

I hope you are doing well today!

I have flagged this to our second level support. Would you please send to us your credentials, so a developer could troubleshoot this issue upclose?

Please mention the site's IDs that have this issue.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Nastia"
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Kind Regards,
    Nastia.

• jetmac

Sorry, Nastia , I've been kept busy on another project.

I'm working this out with Stripe and the Members. We're cancelled their accounts and are re-doing payment.

Hopefully, that will do the trick. Sad it came to this, but, there it is.

In the future, I, personally at least, would like to have more insight into how this plugin works. For example, that it creates entirely new records in Stripe every time any payment information is changed. That alone was a significant source of confusion and difficulty.

There needs to be better controls for admins to adjust accounts. Trying to explain to a 70 year old how to change their account via email is nearly impossible. As admins, we want to be able to do simple adjustments for them. Basically, anythign aside from the actual credit card information should be manageable by admins from the back end.

This level of control is kind of possible, but certainly not clear on how. The account control tools for admins is rudimentary at best and there is no clear direction anywhere. It was, literally, months of "wait and see" as a change was made but you had to wait until the next billing cycle to see if it would work (and often it didn't).

Basically, a large number of the issues I've encountered over the last 1.5 years would have been more easily dealt with if the admin interface was centered on managing as much as it was presenting.

I can see that someone is a Level 1 -- but I can't tell how to make them a Level 2, know what I mean? This is especially necessary when dealing with hidden levels, where the user can't access them on their own from the front end.

Its' also hard to tell what's going on with Stripe (or Paypal, etc) as there is no insight into what information was sent to Stripe and Stripe's meta-data is equally hard to find. To make it worse, there is no way to change/adjust meta-data once sent to Stripe (or elsewhere, I assume). Having an ability to make a change and know that Stripe accepted it would be incredibly valuable.

So, bottom line, Pro-Sites is a nice plugin but it could seriously use an overhaul and extension of its admin management tools and portal.

Rob

• Nastia

Hello Rob, I trust you are doing well today!

We are still investigating this issue with the Stripe credit card update. Once we have an update we will post it here.

As for your questions:

- Basically, anything aside from the actual credit card information should be manageable by admins from the back end.

- Its' also hard to tell what's going on with Stripe (or Paypal, etc) as there is no insight into what information was sent to Stripe and Stripe's meta-data is equally hard to find.

I have forwarded them to a developer so he could provide a feedback.

I can see that someone is a Level 1 -- but I can't tell how to make them a Level 2, know what I mean?

You can upgrade the member manually from Level 1 to Level 2 to from Sites > All Sites, click on the Pro Site level of a site, scroll down to "Manualy Extend Pro Site Status".

From there you can set a period and upgrade a user pro site level.

You can reactivate a Stripe payment for a user, please be cautious though, and do it only with user permission.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Mahlamusa

Hello jetmac,

I hope you are doing great today. I am truly sorry for the delayed response from our side. As I was going through some old threads I noticed this one is still open, it must have slipped into cracks. I was wondering if you still need help with this issue or not.

I noticed that you have the latest version of Pro Sites and I would like to know how is this latest version working with reference to this issue. Is the issue resolved by updating to the latest version or the issue still persists even in the new update.

I will be happy to know it works but if not, I will be more than happy to help you resolve it in anyway possible. So, please let us know if you still need help with regards to this issue.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa