Credit Free Months with PayPal Express

I’ve got a customer who is currently paying monthly recurring for their Pro Site. I’d like to extend their site for 2 months for free. However when I extend in network admin it doesn’t change any of the payment due dates. Is it possible to extend the site for free for 2 months and notify PayPal to not charge him? Or will the system catch this on the next billing cycle?

I guess my question is: what is the correct way to credit someone free time and not have PayPal charge them for it?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ryan,

I understand this dilemma and I would say that they would not be charged though the billing date stays the same, hopefully Pro Sites recognizes the fact.

While writing the above however, I came up with another idea which is to modify their billing date directly in the database?

Giving them the two months by advancing the date manually by two months which in my mind is a clean and effective way to accomplish this.

Please be sure to backup your database before attempting to modify it.

Please advise of your thoughts on handling this just this way and if so let me know how it goes.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ryan,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• Ryan Englin
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I tried letting the system handle the credits and the client still got charged. So I was going to try your suggestion on editing the date in the database except that I can’t find it. The only thing I can find is the blog expiration date in the pro_sites table. Where would the next PayPal Payment date be stored or is this just calculated? I guess I’m just trying to figure out how I credit my customer without having to get them involved. Do you think this might be possible on PayPal’s side?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ryan,

Thank you for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

The following suggestion I know is not a perfect solution, but considering your time and effort and having to mess with the billing, dig through the database etc., it is my opinion that the best suggestion would be to just refund those extra transactions back via PayPal via the issue refund provision contained within PayPal effectively giving the user their credits.

This would also not mess up your billing cycles any further and nor risk messing up your database.

Please advise what you think of this idea for dealing with it in this manner, though not perfect it will certainly be effective.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

The issue I believe is because the subscription date is set within their Paypal Profile. When the subscription is set up this is essentially a contract between you and the buyer at the time they take it out but it can’t be modified.

It can be cancelled though, and once cancelled your member can start a new subscription. The new date would be set in Paypal.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.