Cron Job for e-Newsletter No Longer Working

I have been sending e-newsletters via your plugin to my website members for years, at a regular interval of about every 3 months. Last week, I went to send my most recent letter using Cron per usual, and the Reports show it will send to about 2-3 members, including me, but it will not send to any of the other 300+ members of my website, and the Cron Job stays on hold.

I have not added to or altered my website or plugins from the last time e-Newsletter worked, and other emails from the website, including daily security emails to me and new member registration emails to new members, are going out from the site and working correctly.

I have granted access to my website via the WPMU DEV plugin for support staff to view the e-Newsletter Reports and current configurations. Please assist me with correcting this error with your plugin so that I may get my newsletters out to website members. Thank you.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Len,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I accessed and checked the site. It looks like the recent newsletter was sent to only two users as like it was sent to everyone but the members of the "General Notifications" mail group. There's no specific logs though.

There's an option to re-send newsletter, excluding those that the newsletter had already been send to. I think that it would be best to start with that:

1. install and enable the WP Crontrol plugin (it will let us check Cron status):

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-crontrol/

2. add following lines to the "wp-config.php" file in order to enable debugging

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

make sure please that these lines are above the "/* That's all, stop editing line */"

3. then re-send the newsletter please and wait until it looks like it stopped sending anything, then

- using FTP or cPanel's "File Manager" tool download the "debug.log" file from "wp-content" folder of your site
    - rename that file to "debug.txt"
    - attach it to you replay here; if it's bigger than 5M upload it to some file storage service (such as e.g. your Dropbox or GoogleDrive) and share download link with me here

Hopefully this will help us diagnose the case in order to find a solution.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Len
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Adam, and thank you for your help today and quick reply!

I have followed your instructions and the debug file is attached as requested.

You will see now in the Reports section of the e-Newsletter plugin that it is showing that every member is stuck in Cron, having being sent to no one. However, the resent newsletter has been sent to me, but the Reports have not logged it.

Hopefully, the debug file and WP Control plugin will help you find the source of the misreporting and members being stuck in Cron. Thanks again, Len

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Len!

Thank you or your response and sharing debug.log. I checked your site again and I can now see how those newsletters are "stuck" in cron.

After further examination it seems that WP Cron is running fine though so E-Newsletter "sending task" is executed as expected. I found and traced down a notice in debug.log related to mail sending process and I suppose it may point to the "underlying" issue". I will however need some helping hand with that so I just messaged E-Newsletter main developer asking him for some advice.

I'm currently awaiting his replay so please keep an eye on this thread and I'll update it as soon as I get to know anything. I hope we'll get it back to work soon :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Len,

I'm deeply sorry for the late response here! It's been quite busy in our forums lately and Adam is having his days-off during Monday and Tuesday.

Could you please re-grant us with support access to your website as it expired? It automatically does so after a 5-days period.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4
    Let us know here in your next reply that access have been granted so ourselves and plugin lead dev can have a better look inside and further investigate this.

Meanwhile, you can try to simply duplicate this newsletter and try to resend it. That's in case that something went wrong in previous procedure only, while support access will help us check if there's anything wrong when sending these emails.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Appreciate your patience here Len! I've already notified plugin dev to have a look as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that response time of devs are a bit longer than our support staff here in forums, but hopefully we will be able to narrow this down pretty soon!
    Either way, me or another colleague of mine will keep you posted about any development!

Take care,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Len,

could you please send us some server details to further dig this up?

As this is public forum, you should send us your details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    - WordPress admin (login url/username/password)
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel/Plesk/phpMyAdmin credentials for DB access (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Len,

I had some feedback from dev. He was able to locate the following message:

SMTP Error: Data not accepted.<p>SMTP server error: This message was classified as SPAM and may not be delivered. For more
    550 information, please see http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/everything-email/550-spam-message

As you can see in previous link, it seems that InMotion is classifying your eNewsletter message as spam. I'd rather advise you to contact their support center to see if there's anything that you can have to do to fix this or maybe anything that we should do in our plugin.
    Please keep us posted on this!

Take care,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.