Cross-domain cookies, Domain Mapping, and blog networks - best way to proceed?

Like many users, I was intrigued by the cross-domain cookie features of the Domain Mapping plug-in, but found it didn't do quite what I had hoped. See previous thread:
https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/domain-mapping-cross-domain-login-not-working#post-17891

Starting a fresh thread just in order to take a different angle. Here's the usage scenario: we have a blog network with domain network.com. Two blogs come along, one with domain1.com, another with domain2.com.

Currently, you can do this:
Login to domain1.com, and you're logged into network.com.

But you can't do this:

First, I want to make sure I've set this up correctly -- this is the behavior to expect, yes?

Second, given the first scenario works, what's to stop that from being applied elsewhere, even if we had to work on a way of manually tracking the domains / creating more cookies?

Let's assume that it doesn't work for *all* domains on a site, but that you had three domains for which you did want it to work?

Also, I've encountered another problem. One site I have has subdomain.network.com as its original blog address, so it works correctly. But another has domain2.com as both its "custom" and "original" domain, so it doesn't do any of the cross-domain magic (not even the first scenario). Do I need to change that in the database?

• Barry

First, I want to make sure I've set this up correctly -- this is the behavior to expect, yes?

Yes

Second, given the first scenario works, what's to stop that from being applied elsewhere, even if we had to work on a way of manually tracking the domains / creating more cookies?

Sorry - you've lost me here - can you explain what you mean / want to do?

But another has domain2.com as both its "custom" and "original" domain

It's probably me, but you've lost me again.

• peterkirn

Hi Barry,
    Okay, let me rephrase those more clearly as questions.

1. Hypothetically, what would be necessary to make it possible to log into network.com, and generate a cookie for domain1.com? (It's possible, after all, to log into domain1.com and be logged into network.com, so for the sake of argument, what would have to change in the plugin for the reverse to be possible?)

Hell, I'm even down for working on it and contributing back; it's GPL-licensed, after all. Could just use some help thinking to make sure I'm understanding the problem correctly. :slight_smile:

2. I have a site called createdigitalmotion.com. If I select Tools > Domain Mapping, I see two columns. One says "Custom Domain:" createdigitalmotion.com. The other says "Original Blog Address:" -- also createdigitalmotion.com. I want to change the original column to read createdigitalmotion.noisepages.com.

I had been using Donncha's plugin, and migrated this site from a separate, standalone (non-multisite) WP install. It works - the domain redirects - but the cookie thing breaks. So I'm just wondering how I'd change that; presumably in the records for the domain in the database?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.