CSS buddypress daily

I have a question about Buddypress Daily theme. When I check the CSS with firefox there is a lot of duplicate CSS styles that get overwritten. Why are they there to start with? Is this a bad thing to have?

Example:
http://www.ge...lay.com #5 (line 939)
body {
background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #F9F9F9;
color: #222222;
font-family: Arial,sans-serif;
}
http://www.ge...lay.com #2 (line 379)
body {
background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #F9F9F9;
color: #222222;
font-family: Arial,sans-serif;
}

The second one is striked through, if I use a child theme I get like 3 calls to the same element. It seems like this would be bad.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

The places it's being called from for body are thus:

1. Reset.css / default - this is a clearing value and sets the values to them be used - duplicates of most reserved tags appear in this as a common default method for CSS
    2. Custom styling - inserts into header.php if you have default.css selected OR
    2. If you have a style selected it may override the default one
    3. Child.css - as the child comes without any coding in someone (you perhaps?) would have added that there

2 and 3 you can control by not selecting default.css and selecting a style then not duplicating in your child.css

I'd never recommend copying all styles in your child.css which it appears may be what has been done but I can't fully comment on that as I've not done it.

In theory there isn't much problem with a few multiple calls as it takes the last being 'cascading stylesheet'. I wouldn't as said recommend putting anything apart from changes in the child.css though.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

This is what is in the default (just downloaded and tried) child.css:

/* Here would be your child theme css */
    /*
       You can put any css in this file to keep your child theme seperate from the parent.
       This way you can not touch the css from the parent for better and easy updates.

An example is included in the text for you to see the format you can use

*/

/* example */
    /*h1#mystyle{
    	border-bottom: #fff;
    }
    */

As for why you get 2 calls to child.css - perhaps you have a modified child theme?
    As you can see somehow you have added styles in there.

Just clean it out and you'll be fine. I've covered the fact some styles are repeated and why just do that and you're on track.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.