CSS customisation vs. CSS minification?

Hello,

I'm using the fabulous "TablePress" plugin, but have issues with customisation:

I cannot check any custom CSS for table with id "4" which I have applied via "Plugin Options". I have cleared all caches, but still no changes visible.

This is the code:

/* Funktions Status / Vergleich*/
.tablepress-id-4 tbody td {
	font-size: 30px;
	color: #333;
}

.tablepress-id-4 thead th {
	font-size: 14px;
	color: #333;
}

.tablepress-id-4 .column-1 {
	width: 30%;
	border: 3px solid grey;
}

.tablepress-id-4 .column-2 {
	width: 35%;
	border: 1px solid grey;
}

.tablepress-id-4 .column-3 {
	width: 35%;
	border: 1px solid grey;
}

So the border of the first column should be 3px and the font-size should be 30px. These values are chosen randomly only to show you the misfunction. The page including the table is this one:
http://hilfe.macbay.de/funktionen-vergleich/

Any idea why it's not working? Maybe due to the minifation by Hummingbird?

Thank you and kind regards,
Sascha

• Denitsa

Hello there sushling,
    I hope you're having a fantastic day and thanks for reaching us!

Minifying with Hummingbird often takes some tweaking in order to find out the best settings for your particular install. Excluding files from Minify and/or Combine might be necessary in order for your site to appear and function properly.
    Did you turn off Minification altogether via the Hummingbird plugin or did you just turn it off for certain CSS files? Please advise!

You can grant support access from the dashboard plugin so we can take a closer look if you want to.
    This could be done via Dashboard - WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Access or by following this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Warm regards,
    Denitsa

• sushling

Hey Denitsa,

thank you very much for your prompt reply :slight_smile:

Did you turn off Minification altogether via the Hummingbird plugin or did you just turn it off for certain CSS files? Please advise!

I have simply deactivated the plugin and after finishing the work, activated it again.

You can grant support access from the dashboard plugin so we can take a closer look if you want to.

I've just granted support access. Although Hummingbird reports quite a good score, I have never really applied Hummingbirds advice to "REMOVE RENDER BLOCKING RESOURCES", due to the warning when "moving files between the header and footer of your page can break your website. We recommend tweaking and checking each file as you go and if a setting causes errors then revert the setting here."

Well, I hadn't had the time yet as well. In case you find out how to optimize further using Hummingbird or its advice, it would be lovely to hear about it. So I would apply some workaround for my other sites and later on for my clients sites.

Have a wonderful day,
    Sascha

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Sascha,

I have simply deactivated the plugin and after finishing the work, activated it again.

This is actually recommended way of working with any caching/speed improving plugins - they should be disabled while developing site, implementing changes and after site is finished then they can be enabled and configured.

Although Hummingbird reports quite a good score, I have never really applied Hummingbirds advice to "REMOVE RENDER BLOCKING RESOURCES", due to the warning when "moving files between the header and footer of your page can break your website. We recommend tweaking and checking each file as you go and if a setting causes errors then revert the setting here."

That doesn't mean it will break site permanently. Not every theme and plugin plays nicely when its JS files are "touched" - by that I mean minified, combined and moved.
    Because every site is different there is no one way to do that - or general guide - this is matter of testing.
    Start moving files one after one to footer - and check each time your site and see if it breaks. If its OK, go to next file. If you see that after one file site is broken - move last file to original position and try next file in line. This is time consuming - but should give the best result for your site and you will know site works fine.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.