CSS Issues in Upfront

Using Shortcodes instead of Virtual Pages, trying to correct the way Upfront is displaying the content via Custom CSS in Jobs & Experts Plugins.

1) In the following page siteURL.com/my-spruke-expert-profile/

The text color is white, and hence not visible, not sure which exact setting in Upfront is causing this. Looking to correct that via Upfront, or via custom CSS.

2) If you got to the following page /inbox, the text loads first, and then the font icons, any way to fix this issue on how Upfront works.

Could also notice the same issue in the following page:
/my-spruke-expert-profile/

3) Floating cart color appears white in the homepage, and the following page font color is also not loading correctly, it isn't visible.
siteURL.com/publishing-house/

Please check the chat notes for more info.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Dr. Ashley M. Berge,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have checked your site and made some changes there. Take a look below, please.

1) In the following page siteURL.com/my-spruke-expert-profile/

The text color is white, and hence not visible, not sure which exact setting in Upfront is causing this. Looking to correct that via Upfront, or via custom CSS.

This is happening because the general (main) color for text in Upfront on your site is set to white and since there's no "specific module" for the J&E output, it's picking up that settings. I didn't change it, assuming that color might be set there for a reason but I have added following custom CSS at the very end of the "Global CSS" of the site

/* J&E experts colors fix */
    .ig-container th {
        color: #000!important;
        font-weight:bold;
    }
    .ig-container td, .ig-container td a {
    color: #1F9774!important;
    }

2) If you got to the following page /inbox, the text loads first, and then the font icons, any way to fix this issue on how Upfront works.

I have noticed that you had "Performance-improving Behavior Changes" and "Enable Upfront Compress Responses" options enabled on "Upfront -> Experimental" page. While these options can sometimes significantly improve Upfront performance, they can also cause some unexpected issues (hence "experimental").

I have switched them off and purged both SG and browser cache and that seems to be working much better now for me. Please make sure that you have also cleared browser cache before testing it :slight_smile:

3) Floating cart color appears white in the homepage, and the following page font color is also not loading correctly, it isn't visible.
    siteURL.com/publishing-house/

That is actually caused by the same reason as the first issue. I've added yet another piece of CSS to the Global CSS (at the very end) to address colors:

.mp p, .mp span, .mp li span, .mp a, .mp li, .mp li a {
        color: #000!important;
    }
    .mp li a:hover {
        color: #1F9774!important;
    }

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dr48
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello Adam!

Thank you so very, very much for tweaking those issues — that’s great!

1) The colour has reverted back — I managed to fix this…however, for some reason the main heading (H1) continues to bounce back to black when it was set at orange — similar issues with the menu — also black; you’ll note on the home page this is a bit of an issue as the text in the initial section is really hard to read in black text. Could you please help in changing this back, somehow, or point me to what I seem to be overlooking? Thank you in advance!

2) Seems to be all good! Thank you!
    The Jobs and Experts plugin have had a few hiccups throughout so I’m not sure if it isn’t playing nicely and causing other issues? For now though, it seems ‘good’ other than the ‘bolder’ icon text that appears on ‘some’ of these pages, and then uniform (standard) text on the others? If there’s a way to fix this anomaly that would be super!

3) Now visible — great! An issue that I’m running into is with the layout of the cart and MarketPress in general. “Publishing house” (store) disappeared so I added the text to the title (page) but there are “” appearing that won’t delete — bit odd? Also, adjoining pages still say “market Press example text” (well, along those lines) and i can’t seem to delete this from the pages? Also, the front store page (“publishing house > store”) has the list of ‘click’ options etc — i would like to try to get the product page here so when people click they see the products opposed to the options (I hope that makes sense!) — looks rather bland otherwise :slight_smile: I have been having issues displaying the cart throughout the site i.e. I’ll add a product to cart then it will take me to the ‘cart’ and say the cart is empty — so there’s something funny going on here? If you’re able to help here, that would be incredibly appreciated!

Thank you kindly for all of your help Adam,

Ashley

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Ashley,

I apologize for the delay with my response!

I tried to check the site again against the issue that you listed in your recent post but I noticed that whenever I try to access a job or expert profile on front end, I'm getting a Fatal Error on front-end.

That wasn't happening before so can you tell me please if you have made any changes to the site (either to Jobs & Experts setttings or to the theme settings or code or some other changes such as some updates etc) meanwhile? If so, what were they?

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Dr48

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the reply!

Yes -- for some reason the Job/Expert plugin experienced further issues today >
    i.e. the landing page now appears with a random link output a good paragraph long; I spoke to support and was asked to uninstall then install the plugin again (which I did) -- but this didn't make any differences -- so, this was put to the developer (I believe?).

As for the font layout -- this hasn't been touched other than myself 'trying' to keep changing the headings etc but for some reason they won't stick -- same goes with any i.e. heading 1, heading 5 etc.

I received a interim reply about the fix to Job/Expert function and have been asked to switch off the messaging plugin as there seems to be a conflict there? So, I will go ahead and do this shortly -- but that will be the 'only' change I would have made.

If you're able to resolve this Adam that would be great! I would love the Job/Expert plugin behaving as its intended :slight_smile:

Thank you greatly!

Ashley

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Ashley!

I'm sorry for the delay on my end!

I see that the fatal error issue has been addressed and the core of the problem has also been reported to our developers: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/fatal-error-on-jobs-experts-pages#post-1305137

Therefore, I have accessed your site again to check those remaining styling issues but I noticed that Jobs&Experts plugin is actually no longer installed on the site. Did you decide to quit on it now or are you making some changes?

If you still need assistance with it, let me know please when you're ready and I"ll be happy to get back to it.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Dr48

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the follow up!

Actually, I opted to delete it all together and start from scratch -- I moved Jobs/Experts to another domain and the plugin so far behaves "okay" other than for styling issues i.e. my query is about the sign up side (login) and having users access a login other than the WP dashboard so its a "prettier" experience, essentially / https://bit.ly/2xn4v1A as the pages are virtual (unfortunately) I'm not entirely sure how to tweak this.

I'm happy to open another support query if this is going beyond the initial issue though! The domain that Jobs/Experts was on it now running MarketPress without any hiccups (so far) -- mind you I only went about deleting and starting afresh yesterday so I still may find some hiccups, but Jobs/Experts is so far behaving a lot nicer than it was before -- perhaps its the theme change, I'm not sure...but that's a good sign nonetheless :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your help Adam! If you have any suggestions re: login that would be helpful! Another site uses Membership2 but I'm not sure if it integrates 'nicely' with the Jobs/Experts given that there's no 'subscription' rather users to have accounts to access etc? If it does work...well, at least I'm familiar with that one!

Thanks!

Ashley

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your response!

If yo go to the "Jobs -> Settings -> General Settings" page and scroll it down to the "Add-ons" section, you'll find a "Jobs & Experts Pages" module there. You may want to activate it and it will add a "Jobs -> Settings -> Page Manager" page where you can assign real pages to different plugin sections.

This way, most of the "virtual pages" would be actually replaced by a real, physical pages that exist on your site and that you can edit like any other page. I think that might solve some issues with tweaking them.

The login form itself, however, would rather have to be styled using CSS again.

As for membership 2 Pro. Yes, it would work with the plugin, in that sense that it shouldn't break it and it would also let you protect additionally e.g. job listings so only members of selected memberships wold be able to access them.

The Membershp 2 Pro plugin provides "subscription" options but it's not a requirement to use them. It is also letting you create free memberships or "one time payment" memberships that might be time-valid or for permanent access. In fact, in some cases you may even decide not to create any memberships except for enabling a single membership of "default" type. That's a special "system" membership that automatically includes all the users on site (that are not members of any other membership) - so if there's no other membership, all your registered users would automatically and permanently be member of "Default" membership. With such configuration such membership wouldn't even affect them at all, unless you use it to protect some content (which would essentially make that content only available to logged-in users). But I admit I don't think that would be necessary for J&E unless you actually need different levels of access :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dr48

Thanks Adam!
    That was super helpful!
    *I'm having a little trouble though on a few pages -- I've managed to set it up but when the user needs "credits" to post etc, / https://bit.ly/2IR7OmT and https://bit.ly/2IR7OmT (now with some "warning" at the top) -- "visit 'here' for purchasing" link seems broken (i.e. "here" is not going to cart/store and i can't seem to fix this)?
    *same goes for users who "log in" then go to post a job (for example) and if they are "out of credit" the system is still allowing posts (which is a little odd) - I'm not sure why this is happening but perhaps linked to the above somehow?
    *the "membership list" page also shows no memberships -- literally says "these memberships" and then no membership displays under it? Quite odd again?

Hopefully all these are related and are a simple fix -- I just can't seem to figure out what I should do!

Thank you again and for all of your help!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello @drb39210!

I hope you're fine today and I apologize for the delay on my end.

I checked the site (I created myself a user account for this but I already removed it) again.

*I'm having a little trouble though on a few pages -- I've managed to set it up but when the user needs "credits" to post etc, / https://bit.ly/2IR7OmT and https://bit.ly/2IR7OmT (now with some "warning" at the top) -- "visit 'here' for purchasing" link seems broken (i.e. "here" is not going to cart/store and i can't seem to fix this)?

This seems to be working fine now. I logged in and tried to add a job and it told me that I don't have enough credits. The link took me to https://bit.ly/2xj3Iij page with three options to purchase credits.

*same goes for users who "log in" then go to post a job (for example) and if they are "out of credit" the system is still allowing posts (which is a little odd) - I'm not sure why this is happening but perhaps linked to the above somehow?

I tried that too and after filling in the form and clicking on "Submit for review" I was immediately taken to the store to purchase credits.

*the "membership list" page also shows no memberships -- literally says "these memberships" and then no membership displays under it? Quite odd again?

I assume that you managed to handle those two issues related to job adding/credits purchase, is that correct? As for a membership list page, the Membership 2 Pro plugin seems to be disabled currently. I believe that is in relation to that other issue with it (that we were dealing with here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upfront-theme-header-and-footer-is-missing-on-jobs-and-experts-pages#post-1308212). In that case, let's focus on that other ticket first as I think it might be related. Then we'd get back to this, ok?

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.