CSS question for Child Themes

I'm currently Working w/ the Blogs MU theme, i was wondering should i copy the .css file over to my child theme, or just write my new styles and use !important to overwrite the css file in the parent theme?

Thanks,

• PC

Heya,

A child theme is a theme that inherits the functionality of another theme, called the parent theme, and allows you to modify, or add to, the functionality of that parent theme.

Its activated separately, hence you can choose your own CSS :slight_smile:

If you want to read more on child themes, wp.org has got a great article, view it here

In case you get stuck in an issue like child theme css does not override parent theme's css, there is a reference thread here

I hope you find the above post useful, however you may have some questions, if yes, please feel free to ask them :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

• tgr0ss

First off, Thanks for the reply -

I'm not sure if that is what i was asking (it was kind of). Let me try and rephrase.

First off I have no problem editing styling, as i can do that with !important in the child style and it's fine.

but here is my question -
    I know when you are adding functions you can create a functions.php in the child folder and add those new functions in there and the parent them will pick those up on load. So you just add the new functions in child-theme/functions.php and same w/ templates.

I didn't know if i should be copying over the .css file to my child folder as well, or should i be copying over multiple files from the parent folder into the child theme beyond what is in there when you initially unzip. or should i be waiting till i make changes.

Please let me know if this makes sense, i'm on my first cup of coffee - so my thought process may not be completely there yet :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.