CSS Styling Help for a newbie

Hi

I am trying to build a site using the madhat theme. I am a complete newbie to CSS. I have tried all week to understand it and learn it, with limited success. Although I understand in theory, and can kind of make sense of the style.css stylesheet, I cannot figure out which part of the code I need to change.

I want to accomplish the following:
– Increase the font size for posts only
– Change colors of viewed and unviewed inline links
– Change h4 styling (font size and color)
– Change the default font size of blockquotes
– Make the “featured content” on the “recent posts” page EXCLUDE any headings in the excerpts

I would also like to be able to create a primary menu “home” link that takes readers to the home page from anywhere in the site… BUT I want my home page to be the “recent posts” page.

Any help would be appreciated, and I am happy to learn rather than have it done "for" me – but be warned: I.AM.A.NEWBIE!

Thank you.

• Sajid

Hello Suman,

Hope you are doing good and welcome to WPMU DEV :slight_smile:

If you want to do it yourself then you need to learn some basic CSS rules and usage of selectors. This is a very good resource to learn the basic and it also have built in tool to implement right away.
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/

Also, along with above you would need knowledge of using the inspector tool of a browser to find out relevant CSS selectors (classes/ids). This part is easy just right click, find the element and look for its class or ID attribute.
    https://developer.chrome.com/devtools

– Make the “featured content” on the “recent posts” page EXCLUDE any headings in the excerpts

This can not be done with CSS. It would require filtering of content with PHP/Regex that is complex job and would require a good deal of customization that is, unfortunately beyond the level of support we can provide here. Sorry!

I would also like to be able to create a primary menu “home” link that takes readers to the home page from anywhere in the site… BUT I want my home page to be the “recent posts” page.

For this purpose, just set display recent posts on home page from Settings -> Reading -> Front page Displays and create another page and it its link in your main menu fro mAppearance -> Menus.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.