Cumulative Grading of Assessments in CoursePress-Pro

I need to setup a serious of multiple choice test questions and assign a pass/fail grading when the user ansers 70%+ of the questions correctly.

I only see the ability to set a passing percentage on a per question basis. Am I missing something or is there no ability to set a cumulative pass/fail capability?

This seems like it should be possible since it is a core functionality for any testing/assement feature. Thanks!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Matt,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

You do set the grade per question but then it also gives you an average grade in the assessment and the report pdf :slight_smile:

So it does both the cumulative and per question grading.

Is that what you were after?

The attached screenshot is in the assessment view for 1 student. The report breaks it down by each unit as well.

Hope this helps Matt!

Let me know if you have any further questions/concerns.

All the best,

Tyler

• 247web
    • Recruit

Hi – must be missing the point here!

How do you allow for say 10 questions within one lesson unit and the student only has to answer 70% of the 10 questioins correctly before moving on to the next unit?

Also please explain a scenario when a multiple choice question would be set with a “Minimum grade required” percentage?

Thanks

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, Mal!

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I see exactly what you’re saying.

In your case, where your questions are all multiple choice with a single answer, there’s no way to be 75% right with a single answer. Additionally, with your format, a student would have to get 100% of the questions correct to move on.

I’m going to ask the dev for some feedback on this one, Mal! Thanks for pointing this out.

• Bryan
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I am also in need of this functionality. In my setup, we will have over 135 courses with multiple units in each course. Each course will be set up similarly in that the first unit in each course will be a “tutorial” of sorts for the student to read through. Then multiple units and a review quiz that will require a total of 80% of the answers to be correct before moving on to the next unit. These questions will all be multiple choice, single answer, or true/false style questions. Then on to a final test unit. The final test unit is the only unit that we will actually manually grade.

One way that I can see this being implemented is having a “Question group” element that can be added to a page alongside the standard elements. You would then set up the group name, if it will be assessed or not, cumulative grade required, limit attempts, etc. for that group. You would then add question elements to that group. This would let all of the other question elements remain unchanged. This would also allow for users to set up a quiz or test type of unit. instead of individually assessed questions.

Another way would be to allow a “page type” within each unit to make a page within a unit a “quiz/test” page. The setup for this could be added above the “build page” section of each page.

Thoughts?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for your feedback here, it’s really appreciated :slight_smile:

I think cumulative grading should be implemented at some point too, I’m marking this a feature request to ensure the developer will take a look here.

Appreciate the participation here! Let us know if you have any further thoughts/questions.

All the best,

Tyler

• Bryan
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Tyler,

That is great. I have a potential $30,000 contract that is pending this feature – the client has to grade a “test” that has 43 fill-in-the-blank answers. I also have several other projects/clients that would love to use this feature too.

If the dev team could give me a push in the right direction, I would be willing to try working on getting this functionality for my and my clients. If I actually get it working (or make any real progress), you guys can have the code.

• Bencstrs
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I too am in desperate need of this feature. Any word on when it will be available? I am also in need of an Answer Feedback option (i.e. you got the question wrong and it gives you a tip on finding the right answer etc).

Sensei has these features as core features, It’s hard for me to understand why these aren’t basic features in such a premium plugin.

• Ryan
    • Flash Drive

For certain courses we will require 100% for the exam (set of questions/answers) to pass and get a certificate. For others we may only require 70% or 80%. Is it possible to set the required grade for passing/certificate?

Also, is it possible to look at a specific user’s pass/fail attempts for a specific exam? Would those be displayed in the PDF reports Tyler Postle posted screenshots of above?

Thx,

Ryan

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey morfjord and everyone,

Sorry for not updating this sooner! A proper quiz element has been added in CP2.0, which was released earlier last month. If you haven't updated yet, then please do and you will find the element here:

If you still have questions on how that works then you can create a new topic here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

morfjord as for your question above, the regular single choice question still functions the same as before, so that could be used more if you just had one question in a section or you didn't need cumulative grading for whatever reason.

Hope you all had a great New Years and Christmas/Holidays!

Cheers,

Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.