Custom changes to email newsletter plugin

Hi

I want to use the e-newsletter plugin to provide a email marketing type of service.

For this, I want to create a plugin (that works with the core e-newsletter plugin) that does the following–

(1) Provide ‘plans’ – i.e. one type of plan is defined by max number of end users (to whom emails will be sent) in a month/max number of emails in a month/both- user can pay for a plan via Marketpress (or other external script)– and accordingly he is assigned a plan

(2) One question- can only an admin manage/create/send newsletters? or can end users also do this? How can an end user be assigned permissions to do this(i.e. what fields in WMPU database have to be changed/rows inserted to give a user permission to manage a newsletter)

(3) I also want the ability to use a service like Amazon Simple Email Service (or others like SendGrid) to actually send the emails.

(4) Can I create a plugin like the one above, keeping in mind that I do want the regular updates to the core e-newsletter plugin to work, hopefully without needing periodic changes to my plugin? What should I keep in mind to do this (i.e. to require no/minimal updates to my plugin whenever the core e-newsletter plugin is changed).

(5) Can you suggest any alterations/new steps to the above plugin,that will make it better/easier for me to develop it?

(6) Can you suggest/advice a different way to go about achieving the functionality that I desire?

Yours sincerely,

Arvind.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Arvind,

Thank you for another question asking us about your coding abilities in which I cannot testify and have no idea if you can accomplish this or not. You tell us.

Do you have a specific issue with the e-Newsletter plugin that is within its intended use?

Do you perhaps have a feature request for the e-Newsletter plugin?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Arvind
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Joe

Once again– I can do the programming- what I want is a e-newsletter dev to look at the above post and give advice/recommendations -> on what I have written.

Or, if you have any technical documents like the High Level design document, or Architecture Design Document for this plugin– that would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Arvind.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Arvind,

Thank you for your additional input and clarification.

Let me get this straight with you right here and now – Here is the scope of the support we provide here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/gravity-forms-and-marketpress#post-243682

And again from the WPMU DEV lead developer himself:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/export-order-details#post-194890

Now please clarify how any of this fits into either of those missions mentioned above?

I may be missing it, if so no problem and I apologize, but I do not see how this fits into either of the missions clearly stated by the then Support Staff Boss nor the WPMU Lead Developer.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Arvind

Hi Joe

I apologise for my late response….

My question is more about the current features in the newsletter plugin–> if you can let me know are there existing hooks in the newsletter plugin that I can straight away use for my custom code? Or if there is any kind of API documentation about the newsletter plugin– where I can see the functions/hooks available in the newsletter plugin?

Also, can the developer of e-newsletter plugin provide any design documents (if available)- like High Level Design and Detail Level DEsign? Again, this is about the features of the existing plugin- although at a developer level…

THanks,

Arvind.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Arvind,

Thank you for the great clarification and I sincerely apologize for appearing to be stern in my last post – sometimes written type leaves much to be desired.

With your questions clarified which indeed I can call in the lead developer to answer since unfortunately I am not a coder and I do not know the answers, but your last post was absolutely perfect for getting to the bottom of this.

However, I do want to bring to your attention the latest and greatest of this very plugin recently jazzed up by our new lead developer of this project:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-e-newsletter-beta-would-love-your-feedback-1

As a matter of fact it would be in your best interest to check this version out and the very responsive lead developer is indeed working in that thread.

Let me know and we should be good to go to get you handled in that thread.

However, if not let me know here.

Look forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• Arvind

Hi Joe

Actually I would love it if the lead dev on the newsletter plugin could share info on hooks (that I can use directly in the newsletter plugin) as well as any dev documents(viz design documents)

Also can he also tell if any of the features requested by me are going to be part of the new updated Newsletter plugin?

Finally, can he give an estimate of when the new version of the newsletter plugin is scheduled to be released?

Thanks,

Arvind.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Arvind,

Thank you for letting me know to include advising of your additional concerns and with that said lets see about getting this very responsive lead developer to comment on them.

With that said I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hello

So, the stuff you want to do with our plugin can be called advanced:slight_smile:

It was never designed to be extended in such way that you described, also i don’t think documentation that you are looking for exists, this plugin is not as complex.

New test version allows to set capabilities per user type so that’s a plus but generally i think that without modifications to the plugin, you wont be able to achieve what you need.

I will try to include few useful hooks for feature version so that might be helpful.

For now, to minimize the modifications to plugin i would suggest adding hooks yourself in place where you need them – this way, it will be only code you need to add after upgrade.

Generally try to look for functions that you are interested in – they are named well and adjust to your needs.

Sorry that i cant help you more.

Thanks,

Maniu

• Arvind

Hello Maniu

Thanks… Please try and include hooks in your plugin–> so that I can simply use those hooks where I want the additional functionality to be made available.

If you could go through the features that I want(in my original post)–> and add hooks for each of those features–> so that I can then use those hooks–> that would be great for me.

Thanks,

Arvind.

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey

Yep, that is what i will try to do:slight_smile:

Just (3) might be problematic as i am not sure that simple hooks gonna be enough. We might build in additional services in the future.

PS i suggest you to wait a little bit more for new v2 version, or you can start with beta – just remember where you have added those hooks:slight_smile: but generally it should be better base for what you need.

Thanks,

Maniu

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey

To be honest i would like it to be released asap:slight_smile:, but it is better to test it well first.

Anyway, I would like it to be released in one week(next monday – 13th), maybe faster.

I am in fact currently working on it:slight_smile:

Thanks,

Maniu

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.