Custom domain won't save when I click "Add"

Hello. I am trying to map a custom domain to a user's blog and it won't save when I click "Add"... it just disappears. However, when I add one to my default blog, it works.

My guess is that I have installed the plugin incorrectly, however, I followed the instructions... they just seem incomplete. For example, the official installation instructions say nothing about uploading the /domain_mapping/ directory (which includes the /languages/ directory) anywhere. Instead, it simply says to upload the domain_mapping.php file to the /mu-plugins/ directory.

Additionally, I went into phpMyAdmin to see if the wp_domain_mapping table was being created (Note: I do not use the default wp_ prefix - Hopefully, that doesn't matter) and it is there. However, I also noticed that the table's collation column displays "latin1_swedish_ci" instead of "utf8_general_ci". Does this matter? I also noticed that my supporter tables displayed the same.

In any case, I'm hoping you can help me out with this.

My website, FRIENDsites.com is hosted with TMDHosting.com. I have a dedicated IP assigned to it. I have installed the Supporter plugin, Domain Mapping plugin, and now the Multi-Domains plugin hoping to rectify the situation as it appears all three are plugins are designed to work together.

Please advise.

  • Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

    Hiya,

    Did you install sunrise.php as per the intructions as well?

    You should also deactivate all other plugins and see if the issue persists.

    If it does, please uninstall domain mapping, deleting all relevant files as well as the database table and try re-installing.

    Let me know about those,

    Phil

  • Brian Tercero
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

    I am having the same issue. I have been using the domain mapping plugin for over a year with no problems. Just recently something changed and I can no longer set a domain name from any of my child blogs admin control panel. When I hit save, the page reloads and the domain does not save.

  • Brian Tercero
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

    I deleted the plugin, downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled, No luck.

    Will try to deactivate all plugins to see if there is a conflict.

    Don't really want to go as far as dropping tables in the database yet. Won't I have to add every single domain back if I do that? The network of sites is over 50, that's alot of extra work. Don't want to go there unless you guys know we have to.

  • Brian Tercero
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

    Deactivated all plugins, that did not work.

    I tested one of my other multi-domain networks and the plugin is working just fine. Both networks have been updated to the latest version of Wordpress and have many of the same plugins installed and running.

    Really weird. It's going to be tough for you guys to troubleshoot if its working on some and not others. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

  • friendlywebdesign
    • Flash Drive

    Yes, I uploaded the sunrise.php file to the correct directory. Then, after reading your suggestions, I deactivated my other plugins which included WPMU DEV Update Notifications, Anti-Splog, BuddyPress, Supporter, Multi-Domains, and Domain Mapping. Then, I deleted the domain mapping files and then uploaded fresh versions to the appropriate spots. Same results. The custom domain entry disappears as soon as I click "Add". Please advise.

  • friendlywebdesign
    • Flash Drive

    Now, will the updated version of the plugin recreate the table I just dropped or do I need to recreate it... because it didn't recreate it after I deleted it. If not, please tell me the variables I need in order to recreate the table. Thank you in advance. Please advise.

  • Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

    Hiya,

    The table will re-create when you activate the plugin.

    Do you have any "mu-plugins" installed and if so did you de-activate those, too (rename the mu-plugins folder to do so)?

    Also, try reverting to the default Twenty Ten theme? At the moment I'm thinking it's a Javascript conflict somewhere. Themes can often be the culprit in those cases.

    Phil

  • Brian Tercero
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

    I wanted to let you know I solved this problem on my Wordpress site.

    Here are the steps I took:

    - Disable all plugins
    - Revert to default Wordpress theme
    - Download a fresh copy of Wordpress.
    - Delete two folders from my site via FTP ---Delete the /wp-admin & /wp-includes (do not touch the wp-content folder!)
    - Upload fresh copies of /wp-admin & /wp-includes from the Wordpress download.
    - Restore my theme
    - Re-enable my plugins

    When I did this, my domain name mapping plugin started working again. I dont know where the hang up was, but doing these steps fixed it for me.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.