custom header image - generates an error: You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page

When activating the Theme in the admin panel, I see this HTML code, that suggests (the possibility of) changing the header's image:

Theme activated! This theme contains <a href="http://surf-space.com/wp-admin/themes.php?page=custom-header">custom header image</a>
support and <a href="http://surf-space.com/wp-admin/widgets.php">sidebar widgets</a>.</p>

When pressing the link of "custom header image", I'm getting this error:
You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

Trying the default buddypress theme, this image changing functionality works just fine.

Extra details: I am working on a single blog wordpress installation (surf-space.com) with the buddypress plugin.

• aecnu

Greetings Roei,

I posted this topic in the "ask a question about social" page,
    and I thought you guys can see that.

Unfortunately no we cannot see that and I hope that they fix it so it will be the chosen Topic Meta but to date it is not so :slight_frown:

Thank you for the feedback though, at least it explains this for what lots of folks have done and we have had to post asking them what they are referring to.

I manually changed the topic meta to reflect the Social Theme.

The first thing to do is see if you have in fact installed the Parent/Child theme correct configuration as shown in this post:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/front-page-blogs-picture-and-text-not-visible-only-subject-is-visible#post-217131

You are also running WordPress 3.4.1?
    Buddy Press 1.5.6?
    Social 1.3.5.1?

You have activated the Child Theme?

I ask these questions because not only can I not replicate the issue, I cannot find a link of "custom header image", all I can find for appropriately managing the header is shown in the screen shot below.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• rbahumi

Hi Joe,

You are also running WordPress 3.4.1?
    Buddy Press 1.5.6?
    Social 1.3.5.1?

Yes, all versions are up to date. By the way, I believe it is a new feature that is related to the new version of wordpress.

You have activated the Child Theme?

I am not using any child theme.

I ask these questions because not only can I not replicate the issue, I cannot find a link of "custom header image", all I can find for appropriately managing the header is shown in the screen shot below.

As I mentioned in my original post, this issue only occurs after the activation of the theme. I see way it is confusing, because I was referring to the "Themes" page, and I see that you were looking at the "These settings" page.

I have attached a screenshot. Only click the custom header image yellow popup link, and that will trigger the issue.

Best,
    Roei.

• aecnu

Greetings Roei,

Sorry for the delay here, as I had mentioned to you in a reply to a previous ticket I have been on vacation.

I see there was an update to this theme Version 1.3.5.2 on 08-07-2012 and a major update to Buddy Press as well version 1.6.

However, I can also confirm that this has NOT resolved this issue and is still taking place with all the updates current on my test production server.

I will ping the lead developer of the Social theme again and hopefully he will find the time to make his way in here soon addressing this issue.

Cheers, Joe

• Jeffri

Hi Roei,

Sorry for the delay to getting back to you.

We have the custom header functionality disabled by default, but the notice is mistakenly displaying the custom header support regardless of the setting. The setting is as seen on the theme options from Joe's screenshot above.

Please set the setting for "Do you want to enable custom image header?" to enable under Header Settings, and save it. Once you enabled it, there will be a new menu found under Appearance called Header.

We are going to release the new version as soon as we can to correct this behavior.

Let me know if you have any question.

Thank you.

Jeffri

• aecnu

Greetings Roei,

Thank you for your feedback and candidness in your reply.

I agree with you that it has taken a bit more time to get things happening concerning this issue then any of us would have preferred.

And with all due respect to you of course, my question is simply as you have stated It is a minor issue to fix, then why have you not done so already?

Please advise.

We are now both looking forward to the new lead developers release with this issue addressed I am sure.

Cheers, Joe

• rbahumi

Hi,

@Jeffri - I did as you said, it worked - We now have an header image. Thank you.

@aecnu -

1. I am less concern about the error message, than I am concern about functionality. If a workaround solution exists (like the solution @Jeffri suggested here), which can get the functionality working immediately, I would like to know about it right away, and not waiting for more than a month for it.

And with all due respect to you of course, my question is simply as you have stated It is a minor issue to fix,

By "minor" I did not mean that I can do it myself easily, nor to disrespect your work. By minor, I meant that by my opinion, this is not something that should have taken this amount of time to solve. And even if it is, this is not the impression I had from your replays. I was sure you are going to provide a solution very soon.

then why have you not done so already?

I did not like this remark.
    Although in the past, I did offered solutions to some of the issues I have had, I really prefer not to do so. These are your plugins, and I expect you guys to solve these issues for me.

3. In the future, I would like an SLA or some sort of estimation, regarding how long it will take to solve an issue. That way, I can prioritize my time, and in some cases may decide to work on a solution myself.

Thank you.

• aecnu

Greetings Roei,

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated and acknowledged.

Though you may not have liked my statement, in context it was certainly valid and realistic.

We on the support team take a lot of heat from members on the It is a minor issue to fix issues that are not so minor, we do not have the power to change, and that the coder must address.

Though it indeed took a considerable amount of time to resolve, since I am not a coder myself and our new theme developer needed time to ramp up, it did take time and for this I apologize.

I can prove I did my job from the beginning, answered the ticket, confirmed the bug, and then reported the bug to the coders for permanent fix. At this point there is nothing more I can do except make sure the ticket does not fall into the ticket abyss and never get addressed.

Regarding an SLA or commonly known as a Service Level Agreement for those whom do not know and I am certain that you do, that would be great and considering my 32 years in the computer business on both sides of the fence, I have yet to see a software company offer one.

As a matter of fact it they usually state there is no warranty expressed, written, or implied nor is it expressed that the software is suitable for any purpose what so ever.

Can you point me to a software company that has an SLA on its software and the warranty is not as mentioned above?

Please advise.

We honestly do our best to resolve any issues we can at the first level support end and we do appreciate our members but in cases like this once I have done my job as described above, truly what more can I do?

All rhetoric aside, thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member and I hope that we can be faster at getting issues resolved for you and all the members faster in the future.

Sincerely, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.