Custom header+background sections in MP Frontend

Hello! I am trying to build an etsy-like website(Gridmarket is the theme I am using), reading through the forums helped me a lot! However, I have a few questions I didn’t find a proper response for(working for me):

1) I am using MP Frontend and Blog templates plugins because I want to limit the user’s access for one and also provide him the same theme as the main one. How can I provide him the ‘Custom header’+’Custom background’ sections in the Frontend store so he can customize his store without entering wp-admin.

I have made a new tab along ‘Products | Add new Product | Orders | -Customize your store- ‘ and would like to have the above mentioned options here.

2) Marketpress plugin- how can I enable Manual Payment for Global Cart?

Thank you!

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

here is an idea, link them to the customizer.php (as you are using blog template, then make sure that you select the theme option on gridmarket to use a custom header first, for some reason that option isn’t available from the customizer options , unless it is selected on the theme option page the customizer header image function just does nothing)

with customizer you can specify a return page (by default it would drop them in the themes page) as per example below

http://sub.youblog.com/wp-admin/customize.php?return=/returnpage

I heven’t tested this out exactly the way you have it, but it has a good chance of working out neatly for you

Alan

• Blast
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Roibot and thanks for your reply!

I am using MP Frontend to restrict user access to wp-admin, he won’t be able to see customize.php.

I am working on this and I’ll post the solution if I found any.

In the mean time, hope to hear from you guys.

Andrei

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

Worth a try.

So then I think you’ll be down to do some custom coding then to select images and options and save them to the theme options. The options you need to set are below, of course there needs to be some code to get and populate the values.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/set_theme_mod

set_theme_mod(‘header_image’,’http/…………png’:wink:

set_theme_mod(‘background_image’,’http/…………png’:wink:

set_theme_mod(‘background_repeat’,’repeat’:wink:

set_theme_mod(‘background_position’,’left’:wink:

set_theme_mod(‘background_attachment’,’fixed’:wink:

Can think of a quick solution.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @cojocariu_andrei

Welcome to the forums!

Integrating back-end functionality in the front-end can be a tricky thing. But the ideas provided by @roibot are excellent indeed.

If you cannot find a solution to that, another option you may want to consider is installing our Easy Blogging plugin. You can simplify the backend for your users by including only the sections you need in the menu.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging/

As for your question about enabling Manual Payments for the global cart, the global cart feature will only work with PayPal. See this from the “Usage” tab of the MarketPress plugin:

Parallel payments is what allows a customer to checkout/pay once, and it’s automatically distributed to all the merchants in their cart. It enables buyers to pay multiple merchants on a marketplace in a single Express Checkout session. This is only available through PayPal.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Blast
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Patrick and Roibot, thanks for your replies!

Roibot, I am trying your idea with the customizer(I am not restricting wp-admin to non superadmins anymore, but eliminating all links to admin dashboard). The problem now is that the customizer doesn’t have a ‘header upload’, Just shows the previously uploaded one. How can I implement this feature?

Also, I would like to eliminate the other wp-customize sections, I just want to keep Header Image and Background image. Any ideas for this?

About the Global Manual Payment, is there anyother way to achieve this?

Thank you!

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

“The problem now is that the customizer doesn’t have a ‘header upload’, Just shows the previously uploaded one. How can I implement this feature?”

yes, in their infinite wisdom WordPress developers removed upload from the customizer in 3.4.2.

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21355

I am still waiting for it to be put back in, even in 3.5-beta3 it isn’t.

Meanwhile I haven’t upgraded to 3.4.2, so still on 3.4.1 on live. However I have used a bit of javascript to add a link to the customer header page in preparation for the inevitable

(3.5 has a much better media upload module, so I will be upgrading at some time and will loose the feature)

If you know how to add a bit of jQuery to your theme then it is fairly easy to create that custom link. Although, if you do jump to the custom header page, then (I assume you are not going easy blogger route) then you’d ideally want the page to jump back to your original page on update, this may be possible, but I haven’t looked (WordPress has so many hooks)

• Blast
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@patrick “As for your question about enabling Manual Payments for the global cart, the global cart feature will only work with PayPal. See this from the “Usage” tab of the MarketPress plugin:

Parallel payments is what allows a customer to checkout/pay once, and it’s automatically distributed to all the merchants in their cart. It enables buyers to pay multiple merchants on a marketplace in a single Express Checkout session. This is only available through PayPal.”

Is there any other way to make a global cart with Manual Payment? I’ve read that @aaron is the developer, maybe he could help me?

Tried to do it by myself by teaking marketpress-ms.php and manual-payments.php and achieved to enable manual payment as a global gateway but couldn’t make it fully work at the end.

I really need this feature, hope you guys can help me. Thanks!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @Blast

Even if you do manage to get global cart working well with manual payments, you’re setting yourself up for a lot of manual follow-up.

Think about it: if a user purchases items from 10 stores in your network with your global cart and sends in a check for the total of $659.78 including shipping and various taxes, you are going to have to divvy that up appropriately, calculate and subtract your % commission from each of those 10 vendors, then issue payment to each of them.

You’ll likely wind up also having to send in tax payments to all those government types, and settle shipping frack-ups too.

Is that something you really want to spend your time doing?

• Blast
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@patrick, you have a point, but what I have in mind is a bit different.

The substores sellers won’t sell directly to the client, they’re sending their products to the main site’s owner(my client) who will send the package to the client(I know it appears to be complicated, but this is my client’s wish). The payments will have place when the shippments arrive to each one (substore seller->site’s owner->buyer). I am not interested in taxes and comissions.

Thank you!

• Miss B Hayving
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I saw a plugin a couple of days ago that enables front end editing of various dashboard pages…. so it looks like the dashboard page on the front end.

Cant remember where I saw it (yeah I know that’s not helpful… soz) – but I was Googling at the time -so it couldnt have been too hard to find!

Will check out my history for ya and get back here if I find it.

• Jim
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@aaron – what’s the progress on implementing the etsy-style checkout in the Marketpress core? I see your post was 10 months ago – was that a part of the most recent update, or do you guys have an ETA? There’s a lot of interest in something like that out here for multi-site installations, and it would save a lot of headache around the globe :slight_smile:

• Jim
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@aaron – have you seen or do you know of any code folks have worked up to get these shopping carts all on checkout page? We’re at the point of rolling out our site and this is the last major hang-up (that we know of :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.