custom post custom field data disappears

Hi,

I just lost all the custom field data for each custom post in our directory. This has happened twice now. I’m not sure what is causing it but it is a huge issue with your plugin and I need to know how to resolve it. As far as I can tell, the only changes I made to the site were:

1. Upgraded to WP 3.13

2. Ran wp-optimize on the data base.

If either one of these can cause a loss of data in your directory plugin then I need to know. If not, then there is a serious issue here and I am weary of continuing to use the plugin if the data will disappear at random.

The site is http://southwaterfrontbusinessassociation.org

You have been looking at this for me with regard to another plugin of your that does not work in Multi-site w/ Thesis.

Any ideas as to why the data would just disappear? Any way to back up the custom post data, including the custom fields? If not, this is a serious fault in your plugin. I’m a little irritated at this point. I invested in your company and expected to be able to use all of these wonderful plugins. Unfortunately, the few I have tried:

1. Market press

2. Directory

3. Mu Support

Have all had issues either with working properly or conflicts with Thesis, the leading pro theme on the market. You guys offer great support and I appreciate that, but it would be nice not to have to troubleshoot every plugin of yours I use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

• johnetec
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Update:

I’ve tried saving all the database fields using wp db backup. I’ve also saved the post data using the wp-import / export tool. Neither seemed to save or restore the custom post data for the directory. Is there really no way to back up this data? How do I save this info and keep it from being wiped out again?

An export / import option for the directory and custom press plugins would seem like a no brainer to me.

Thanks,

John

P.S. Sorry to be so pissy but I now have to spend hours re-entering the custom field data for each directory listing.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi John,

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing trouble with the plugin. I’ll ask one of the developers to look into this as well, but I’m really at a loss as to how the data could simply disappear. I haven’t seen that occur in any of my test sites.

You mentioned that it did so twice. Is there anything other than the WordPress update and WP Optimize that you might be able to recall? I’d like to see how I can go about replicating this to find the issue.

Thanks,

David

• johnetec

Hey David,

I really can’t give you any other info. I mean, I did some other plugin updates, like the OZH admin menu and Admin management extended, but these have never caused anything like this before. Is there a way to backup the data on the listings custom fields other than to schedule a full DB backup on a regular basis?

Keep in mind that this site uses the Thesis theme. I’ll keep better track of what we do moving forward and keep daily backups of the DB.

Can you tell me the exact DB fields that hold the custom fields data? This way I can verify that the info is being saved on backup. I cannot afford to lose the info again. The biggest concern I have is that the custom field info was the ONLY thing that disappeared. Everything else stayed the same.

Thanks again for your help.

John

• Andrey
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello johnetec,

it’s really strange because I made test and I didn’t lost any data.

Fields:

1. Table “wp_options”:

column option_name = ct_custom_fields – here all information about custom fields.

2. Table “wp_postmeta”:

column meta_key = _ct_text_4ccc5fd023950 or another Field ID – here all value of custom fields

• Andrey

Hi John,

I don’t know other way exept to backup full DB or backup some tables.

You mean “wp-db-backup” made backup of tables as “wp_options” and “wp_postmeta” but the data of custom fields not copied in backup file?

• johnetec

In my test of the back up plugin. I added some custom field data to a few of the directory listings. I then ran the back up. When I restored the Db from backup, the custom field data was gone again. Not sure what the deal was, but it really scares me that the data can just disappear and that it does not seem to store when a Db backup is run. It would be nice to have a backup / import / export function in the directory plugin. Seems it would be an essential part of maintaining the directory. The ability to export the data as a CSV would really be nice.

Hope you can add this stuff in for the next release. It woud sure make me feel a lot better about using it.

Thanks,

John

• RealWealthTraining
    • Flash Drive

The post type that was created when I activated the directory plugin mysteriously disappeared, when i activated marketpress on the site as well, I deactivated maketpress, and deactivated directory, but it didn’t re-create the post type, and as such I don’t have the listing tab in the admin menu, Any thoughts, I have tried to delete and re-install the plugin, but I get the same results. Is directory incompatible with marketpress?

• Andrey

Hello,

Do you mean that you lost the post type as “directory_listing” when acrivated the marketpress plugin?

if so – it’s strange because I just activated the marketpress and didn’t lost the post type as “directory_listing”.

which other actions you did?

which versions of WP and plugins are you use?

• RealWealthTraining
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

I am using wp 3.1.3, multisite, it was in a development site, so I only had akismet and a short code plugin for sidebars, and a login widget plug in.

I installed it in another site and then copied the settings over, and it worked fine, then I activated market press and everything was fine, must have just been a fluke, but I am tempted to try it again on the other site to see what happens, I don’t plan on using either of these plugins permanently on that site, so no big deal.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.