Custom post type template integration.

Hey there.

So I'm trying to integrate a custom post type solution but the theme I'm working with looks like it has a funny way of structuring it's post / page templates.

I've made a duplicate single.php file but the file just points to another set of templates so I'm not sure if will work. (See screenshot left)

As suggested in the intro comment of the first single.php I drill down to the framework i'm using and found a wp-single.php

So I guess my question is:

Do I make a duplicate of the "wp-single.php" named: "wp-single-resource.php", (see screenshot right) and then make a duplicate of the first level single.php that points to that custom template? Am-I-Right?

Once that's done I want to populate that post template with the custom fields output. If I make a layout using 'Visual Composer' can I paste the HTML generated to some spot in the new "wp-single-resource.php"?

Thanks a bunch.

Michael Bissett

Hey @benstacey,

Ah, the X theme. Yep, it's got a different way of handling page templates.

Do I make a duplicate of the "wp-single.php" named: "wp-single-resource.php", (see screenshot right) and then make a duplicate of the first level single.php that points to that custom template? Am-I-Right?

Right, you'd create a copy of "wp-single.php", and name it "wp-single-resource.php", and customize that template to display that content you're looking to display.

You would then copy the single.php you mentioned, name it single-resource.php, and make sure that it points to your custom template.

Once that's done I want to populate that post template with the custom fields output. If I make a layout using 'Visual Composer' can I paste the HTML generated to some spot in the new "wp-single-resource.php"?

You could give it a try, though I'd personally want to see how the X theme's content looks, and try customizing that.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance here please!

Kind Regards,
    Michael