Custom Post Types (Hard Coded) vs CustomPress plugin

I am wondering if it’s better to hard code Custom Post Types vs using a plugin. I am helping a local gym and they will make “workout” posts listing movements, sets, reps, lbs, etc.

Also, another discussing an actual movement, for instance: Front Squat complete with descriptions, video, tags/taxonomies.

This said, would it be cleaner or a better practice to create this myself with code? (https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/creating-content-custom-post-types/ ) or with a plugin like CustomPress?

Caveat: If I hard code this, it locks me into tweaks/updates as opposed to a client creating additional Custom Post Types. Thank you,

~jw

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi jw,

Thank you for your question.

You can create custom post type either by hard coding it or using plugin like CustomPress. Both way you will have full control on custom post types and its features, the only main difference is if you use plugin then you can create/manipulate them easily using the User Interface provided by the plugin.

Best Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi jw,

This said, would it be cleaner or a better practice to create this myself with code? (https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/creating-content-custom-post-types/ ) or with a plugin like CustomPress?

It would be cleaner and a better practice to create this yourself with code so if you can please do it.

This way you won’t have to do any extra work when migrating site, just copy the custom post type code in to the migrated site.

Cheers,

Vinod Dalvi

• jasonewillis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Just following up here, you said: “This way you won’t have to do any extra work when migrating site, just copy the custom post type code into the migrated site.”

When I am upgrading this specific site, I shouldn’t have to do anything, but if I want to repurpose the custom post type in a different site, I would just copy/paste into that new(er) site. Am I understanding your statement correctly? Thanks!

Edit: additional question – If they already have existing posts, can I reorganize them within this custom post type?

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi jw,

Thank you for your reply.

When you update the WordPress version on your WordPress site then you don’t have to do anything extra with custom post types.

When you want to repurpose the custom post type in a different site then if you have created the custom post type developing code then you have to copy that code and the database saved in the database in to different site. If you have created the custom post type using any plugin like CustomPress then you have to copy that plugin, the settings of that plugin and the custom post type data saved in database.

Please advise if you have more questions.

Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.