Custom Press – 3 bugs


I’ve got 3 bugs with Custom Press plugin > I’ve recorded a small video to explain it instead of writing a long post :

Could you please have a look and help me with these issues?

PS: here are the capabilities of my custom role

Thank you very much for your help



  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings Jean-Louis,

    Thank you for bringing these issue to our attention and for the video in which you are absolutely right the video was much better and more efficient then a two kilometer text post which also would have been much harder to explain the idea within.

    I do see your examples of course and I will alert the lead developer to these issues and the video demonstration right away for his advice/advisement towards what is going on there.

    Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

    Cheers, Joe

  • Arnold
    • El Macho WP

    Item 1:

    I think we have interference form another plugin, possibly the SEO plugin. The column “Type” does not normally exist in WordPress for Pages and Custom types. I don’t know how they are doing their decision on what’s shown in that column or how they may be modifying the query for the page.

    Also you have added standard Categories and Tags to your custom types. This leads to cross overs because the categories may exist in multiple types. Is is generally not a good idea to do this.

    Also you have mixed “post” and custom types on various screens. This can be done if used sparingly but there are some bugs in WordPress that will cause problems if used in some circumstances.

    Also you are inheriting the “post” capability type which further mixes things. This may be part of your third problem.

    The cleaner way to do it is to make you own Taxonomies to describe your custom types which are dedicated to that custom type.

    You should also change the Capabiltiy type if you plan to control capabilities on the custom type. For example in the Directory plugin we use “listing” as the Capability type. And set the Map capabilities to true. This creates a set of capabilites based on that name. Things like “edit_listings”, “delete_listings” etc These control what your doing to your custom type like “edit_posts” does for posts, but separately so you don;t have to give everybody post capabilities to edit your custom types.

    Item 2: You picked the wrong field. What you were displaying was a single post, not an Archive. You want to set Rewrite to true and put your custom slug in the rewrite box.

    Item 3: May have to do with the disscussion above. Certainly you should set Map Capabilities to true.

  • Renega
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    Hello Arnold,

    The column “type” comes from “Post switcher plugin”. I still don’t understand why/how different custom post types appears in each other or not when I check or uncheck the default options..? Even if I mixed things a little.

    What do you mean by “Also you have mixed “post” and custom types on various screens.” ?

    Could you please tell me more concretely what I should/could do to fix that ?

    Thank you very much

  • Arnold
    • El Macho WP

    WordPress generates a query from the URL that is sent to it. Depending on what’s in the url, wp sets flags as to whether a query is for a home, front, archive or search page. Normally this is for only one post type. The Settings screen lets you mix multiple post type in one page. So when you check “post”, “bijoux” and “dessins_main” for the Archives pages it means All Archive pages will show all of those post types on an Archive page that contains any one of those post types.

    An Archive page pulls all posts for a post type so on those types you’ll get all three type on the Archive page. A listing in Admin of all posts would tend to look like an Archive to begin with.

    I suspect that something is modifying the query so that it looks like an Archive page and then is applying the combination.

    This should really only happen on the front end. I’ve attached a version to below to prevent it happening on the Admin side. See if it works for you.


  • Renega
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    Hi Arnold,

    Great feedback! i’ve installed your beta version and everything now works properly.

    My 3 “bugs” are not anymore :wink:

    PS: I first created custom taxonmies instead of using common categories but I needed it in the end to work with my Visual Composer plugin (which pulls out posts from categories but not from custom taxonomies..)

    Thank you very much



Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.