Custom Press: adding taxonomies and custom fields to specific pages

Hi guys
Site has pages and blog posts. Pages are arranged hierarchically and can be viewed and arranged using page tree view and navigated using section navigation widget.

1. Can custompress add taxonomies and custom fields to specific pages without creating post type?
2. or if i create post type, how can i get these posts to behave as pages (ie show up in tree view and be navigated using section navigation widget)

Thanks
Jimmy

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

Yes. You can add taxonomies and custom fields to the default post and page types just as if they were a custom post type.

So that'd be your best bet rather than creating a new custom post type that behaves like pages since you wouldn't be able to use them in Custom Menus and such.

I hope that helps! If you need any further clarification, or if I did not properly answer your question, please don't hesitate to ask.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

Custom fields and taxonomies aren't added to individual pages - they're added to post types - which pages are technically a post type.

If you only want them on certain pages you'll need to either use them only on the desired pages through customizing the theme, or you'll need to create a new post type.

• HappyJimmy
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So am I correct in:

there is no way to use custom press with selected existing pages without customizing theme (i am using 2012)

if i create new post type, these posts dont behave like pages do, and so cannot be organised in CMS fashion.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

Correct. In order to use taxonomies or custom fields with specific pages, be it through CustomPress, any other plugin, or manually making the taxonomies, you have to manually customize the themes.

You can create a new custom post type that works in a hierarchical fashion. So they'd be exactly like pages, except they cannot be used in navigation menus without manually putting them in.

Am I making any sense?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi there,

I noticed that we are still waiting for a response from you, have you managed to solve this? please let us know how you are getting on or if you need any further help or if in fact the problem is now solved.

Cheers, PC

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it's been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I'd check in to see how you're going?

If you're still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.