Custom Press in Multi-Site Does not allow admin (not super, just admin) to create custom post types,

So I installed Custom Press on a wordpress multisite installation at crplz.com

However, it doesn't allow the administrator role (not super admin, just admin) of a site or sub-site to create custom post type or fields or custom taxonomy, etc. Only option availbale to the site administrator is to export various custom press settings.

Can you help me out in understand how this can be enabled?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @crplz

I've been having a look over this issue, I've found a few discussions that may be worth reading.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/custompress-and-custom-directory-structures
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/custompress-and-multi-site-wordpress

Additionally a role editor plugin could work in this case, something such as

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/role-scoper/

Please note that before installing a new plugin, it is always recommendable to backup your site and database.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings crplz,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention and I do believe this is intended use depending on which options have been selected in Network Admin --> CustomPress --> Settings Menu and differences if network activated or site by site activated.

Please review the CustomPress usage instructions and let me know if it clarifies things for you and gives the functionality that you want.

Looking forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• Gorakh Sirsikar
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Jack & Joe for your inputs.

As for your suggestions Jack I've tried to read through both the conversations and tried not just role scoper but a slew of permission management pluigins to tweak the wp permissions but they don't show that option at all. Exception is Advanced Access Manager, although it shows the option to grant privileges of Custom Press to Admin role, it doesn't really change anything.

I even tried this old version of custom pres I had - 1.1.9 before upgrading to 1.3.2.7 and tried what you suggested too Joe, but am attaching the screenshot of my settings, which I've tried to change back and forth without any success.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings crplz,

Thank you for the additional clarification which is certainly appreciated.

In your screen shot two posts above: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/custom-press-in-multi-site-does-not-allow-admin-not-super-just-admin-to-create-custom-post-types-fileds-taxonomy-etc#post-389336

You have unchecked: If you enable this option, all subblogs will use and display the content types defined at the network level.

But with this unchecked it does not make sense to have the plugin network activated.

When site by site activated the site admin has full access to the custom posts types etc.

In Summary - if you want to have a forced custom post type(s) across the entire network then network activate it. If you want each individual site to be able to manage there own custom post types then site by site activation is in order.

Does that make sense? Are you able to replicate this behavior as I am?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings crplz,

Just touching base with you for an update to what I found in the read me text as I did not put this out of my mind so quickly and dug in a bit more and I believe #3 suits this project:

== 1.  Network-wide Post Types. ==

In this scenario all sites on the network share a particular custom post type.  If you're running a book review network for example, all sites would need to have access to your "books" post type.  This is how CustomPress works by default.  After network activation, simply go to Network Admin->CustomPress->Settings and make sure the checkbox is cleared next to "Enable sub-site content types".  You'll also want to make sure you have the radio button marked next to "Keep the network-wide content types on sub-sites."

== 2.  Site-by-site Post Types ==

In this scenario, each individual site on your network can create and manage there own custom post types.  One site can have post types for books, the next can have post types for cars.  To do this, after network activation, simply go to Network Admin->CustomPress->Settings and check the box next to "Enable sub-site content types". Then mark the radio button next to "Remove the network-wide content types from sub-sites."

== 3. Both Network and site-by-site Post Types ==

Finally, if you want to provide a specific post type to all sites AND allow them to create their own go to Network Admin->CustomPress->Settings and check the box next to "Enable sub-site content types". Then mark the radio button next to "Keep the network-wide content types on sub-sites."

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hiya, we haven't heard from you in a while so I just wanted to check in and see how things are going here?

If you still need some assistance then by all means just reopen the thread or create another one for any new and related issues.

Cheers.
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.