Custom Press - Since update, custom fields do not update when saved.

Hi - since wordpress updated, and custompress updated to the latest versions, I have noticed when I edit existing posts the custom fields created with custompress do not save or update with the changes.

When I create a new post, they appear, but also when i press save draft, or publish, or save non of the entered values actually save. I have tried to load the previous version of custompress, and tried deactivating, and reactivating, this makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

• Arnold

I think I've figured out what you're doing. CustomPress adds a metabox to the post edit screen for the custom fields. There is also a native Custom Fields meta box that is inherent in Wordpress. You have both showing on your post edit screen. One is labeled CustomPress Fields the other just Custom Fileds.

My guess is you are trying to edit the CustomPress fields through the Custom Fields update buttons instead of changing them directly in the CustomPress Fields area. So what happens is you click Update in the Custom Fields box and then save the Post, but the field is still blank in the CustomPress box so it saves the blank field making it look like nothing changed. You have the two boxes fighting each other.

You should turn off the Custom Fields Meta box display using the Screen options at the top so it doesn't confuse you.

The other way to handle it is when creating the CustomPress fields, Do Not check the "Allow for WP/plugins" checkbox. This will hide the custompress field from Wordpress display so it won't appear in the Custom Fields box but will appear in the CustomPress Fields box for your use. A bit of a pain to do now because you have a lot of fields and can't change it once set.

Make sense?

• yooneeq

Thanks for taking a look, I have just noticed these are appearing in both Custom Fields, and CustomPress Fields. Before the upgrade these only appeared once, in the CustomPress Fields.

If I turn off the custom fields Meta box, would this then save the fields as it should in the CustomPress Fields Box?

There are too many fields, and the posts are built using this data so it would be near enough impossible to recreate all of these. But noted, not to check the Allow for WP/Plugins box.

Many thanks in advance

• Kimberly

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I'm guessing that because we haven't heard back from you that you've got your issue worked out or that we have reached the end of our convo here. If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don't miss it!

This ticket is only being Resolved due to lack of activity. It is by no means an action to avoid, brush off or minimize your issue. We are ready and here if you want to re-open at any time and I apologize in advance for any lack of communication if this ticket is being closed in error.

Thanks for being part of the WPMU DEV Community!