Custom Product Types Using Marketpress, GridMarket and Custompress

I would like to create custom product types in Marketpress using different relevant custom fields for each product type. Do I need to copy the mp_product.php and modify it for each product type?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

You could create your own custom post types for other products. However, MarketPress only works with it's own custom post type and wouldn't be able to deal with multiple post types.

Instead, you'd be better off using custom fields and tweaking the loop (within mp_product.php) to display products based on the value of the custom field.

Thanks,
    Phil

• Greg Rice
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Phil,

I kind of thought that would be the case. What I am trying to figure out is how can I display different fields based on the product type.

For example, I am going to have books and CDs in the store. Books would need to display Author and Publisher, while CDs would need to display Artist and Label. How can I get the loop to display only the relevant fields to the product type while not displaying the irrelevant fields?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Greg

• Greg Rice

I think I have it figured out, but have just one small question. When i write the conditional statement, in order to have the right information displayed based on the product category, what conditional tag would I use? Normally that would be "is_category()", but it seems to me that would call a different type of post category.

Is there a specific conditional tag for product category? I think this would solve the issue. Thanks for your help!

• Greg Rice

Hey Phil,

I had an epiphany! I just created a custom field for Author or Artist Name and made it a drop-down selection box and used that field as the label in mp_product.php. Nothing like trying to make things more complicated than they should be!

Thanks for the guidance. It helped me to think it all through.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.