custom redirect for membership upon signup

Hi, I have a client request to redirect the user, upon signup, to the protected content page. By default it goes to the user's page. Any thoughts on where that code is and how to customize it?
Thanks
Brian

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Brian, hope you're doing well today!

Just to be sure, when you say that you want to redirect to the Protected Content page, you mean that you're wanting to redirect the user back to the page that they were previously trying to access, right?

If so, then I'm afraid that wouldn't be possible presently without quite a bit of custom coding, more than just a simple code tweak.

While you can have a user be redirected to the page they're trying to access by using the [membershiplogin] shortcode on the "Protected Content" page, that's only if he's already a registered user.

You'd have to somehow keep the URL for the page in Membership's memory across at least 5 steps (choose a subscription, create the account, visit the checkout page, check out on the payment gateway chosen, and then log in after the process is complete).

I'd suggest posting a job for this on our Jobs Board, and seeing if one of our Pros can cook up a solution for you:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Sure wish I could have helped more, but I hope this at least gives you some insight on the matter.

Please advise,
    Michael

• Brian

hmmmm...I get that technically this may be complex, but from the front end UX here's the flow the client is requesting: user sees features page, decides to subscribe. User creates account, pays for membership, then...lands on Profile page for their new account? Wouldn't it make sense to end up where you paid to get to?

If this requires crazy coding to achieve, I suppose I could customize profile.php to include a link to the content they've paid for. Of course we will auto-send an email with a link when folks subscribe as well. Any other workaround thoughts?

Thanks,
    Brian

• Ash

Hello @Brian

I hope you are well today.

Wouldn't it make sense to end up where you paid to get to?

I totally agree with you. In your setup, you are restricting a page or a group of page? In fact, membership is designed to restrict a group of content. So for example, you are adding 10 pages in level 1. So if an user subscribe for level 1, in which page he should be redirected?

lands on Profile page for their new account

If you select a welcome page, then always the user will be redirected to that page after subscription. You can select the page from Membership > Options > Membership Pages > Registration Completed Page.

Please feel free to suggest if I misunderstood.

Cheers
    Ash