Custom Registration

Hello: I am using the studio theme and want to use a third party form to fully customize the sign up/register process. Two questions:

1.) how do I add the html form code to the register page
2.) will the data transfer to the network dashboard users and sites as it currently does?

Thanks.

• Mason

Hiya randit,

Part of that will depend on the 3rd party form. The registration page is generated from studio/registration/register.php so that's the file you'll want to edit.

2.) will the data transfer to the network dashboard users and sites as it currently does?

Do you mean like the BuddyPress profile information? It will if you map it to the xprofile fields. I'd just note that this would seem a rather large under-taking when BuddyPress already has such a customizable registration form in terms of information you can ask for. Is it possible you just want to style it differently?

Thanks!

• randit

Are you referring to "working with extended profiles" in buddy press? I did add two new fields and did a test and not sure where this new data appears? I want to collect info about creating a website (not buddypress related) such as do you have a domain name? Do you need help setting up your new website? Isn't this really suppose to be used for adding info to a buddypress profile?

Also, can you help clear up another question please. When I am logged in as super admin or another user there is a tab on the admin bar titled "blogs" and a sub tab called "create a blog". When I click on blogs it says I do not have a blog. But I do have a website and I think the terms blog and website are interchangeable. So why wouldn't an existing blog/website appear there? Is the blog tab for buddypress not wordpress in the admin bar? Very confused.

• Mason

Hiya,

I was asking if you meant something like BuddyPress profile information. It doesn't sound like that's what you need though (are you using BuddyPress?)

When a person is signing up for a username all the information you're collecting is being attached to that user through the profile (regardless of whether you're using BuddyPress). There are several tutorials out there on how to add custom fields to WordPress, but if you're using Buddypress they already give you this ability in the admin.

It really doesn't sound like profile information is what you want to collect though. If that's the case, then what you may want to do is have the user signup be sorta 'step 1' of the process. Then make step 2 a separate signup form where you can use whatever you want to create the form and store the information.

When I click on blogs it says I do not have a blog. But I do have a website and I think the terms blog and website are interchangeable. So why wouldn't an existing blog/website appear there? Is the blog tab for buddypress not wordpress in the admin bar?

They are interchangeable terms and BuddyPress has not yet been updated to match the new terminology of 'sites'.

Is your other site on the same multi-site install? If so, it should show up. Does the username you're signed in with have a role on any site?

Hope this helps!

• Mason

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!