Custom Sections

Hi

Right now when one clicks on Store>Products the list page opens.....is it possible to display Sections first...what I mean by that is when one clicks on Store (header menu) viewer sees a custom template page with various sections (paintings, books, tees etc) listed and then upon clicking Sections (can be image or text links) sees respective product lists...is it possible (somehow) to create a site wide (must act choose and select from a drop down list) custom field (a broader category kind of a thing) so that members have to click on that before hitting the publish button.....Is CustomPress is the solution or even if I need to get it hard coded which file should I refer to....?

Examples like (apart from price, coupons, excerpts, shipping etc) things like
Product > Painting : Medium, Style, Size etc
Product > Books : Author, Publisher, Edition etc
Product > Tees : Size, Color, Artist etc

Thanks

• Kimberly

M.O.R.E.

Hi there ! :slight_smile:

It seems like you have more than one question so I'll see if I can cover them all. Please feel free to provide more clarification if it seems I don't answer them all.

You can control the display on any of your pages by using the shortcodes provided on the last tab of your store settings. There is a specific shortcode to display products by category. You can also create sub-categories that will populate under their parent categories.

If you're looking to create a custom menu for your users then you can use the Custom Admin Bar Plugin to create any links or menus that you want: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custom-admin-bar.

You can also create a custom product submission form that will require your users to select their Categories and Subcategories before entering product information. Here is a thread for reference where one user has done something similar, he has also found and listed the product custom values: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-add-ons

If I didn't cover it all please come back and re-open the thread, I'll be happy to take a look at your reply and see what else we can find :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• M.O.R.E.

Thanks Kimberly

I already have used Custom Post Types plugin and created one custom type but the problem that I am facing is what should I do to show those sections under one menu head as sub menus and secondly is there any thread that explains the process of creating custom fields or taxonomies for products like clothing or painting....like I've explained above (the first mail).

What I want is to fill up various (additional) fields within one product under one umbrella section....if it can be created within MarketPress....there's nothing like it

Sorry to repeat this......right now the Menu - Store (marketpress) has three sub-menus
    1) Products
    2) Shopping Cart
    3) Order Status
    And I don't want to say just "products"...but (e.g.) Books, Gadgets, Clothing etc with each having different input fields (uploading details)....is it possible? Right now I can upload a book for selling but with limited fields...how do I increase the input fields?

Thank you for your help

• Kimberly

M.O.R.E.,

My apologies for not grasping what you were trying to explain.

I don't mean to be tedious, but want to make sure: You want to list the actual products under the store menu on the backend.

What I want is to fill up various (additional) fields within one product under one umbrella section....if it can be created within MarketPress....there's nothing like it

You're doing a great job of explaining what you want in general I'm just not understanding the specifics, like how you wish to actually see this. front end? back end? or is this another way of stating what you are looking for with the products.

You're right there is nothing quite like what you want to do.

is there any thread that explains the process of creating custom fields or taxonomies for products like clothing or painting....like I've explained above (the first mail).

I think you were spot on asking about Custom Press. That would take care of your post types, taxonomies, etc.

I am not very familiar with custompress but I will try to give it a look so I can follow along with you and try to better help :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• M.O.R.E.

Hello

Managed to create more input fields (please see screenshot) using create Taxonomies within "Custom Post Type Plugin" but don't know how to create more different sub-sections within MasterPress so that we get instead of just uploading in Admin > Product > Create New ....more sub sections like

Admin > Product > Add New Art
    Admin > Product > Add New Book
    Admin > Product > Add New Gadget
    Admin > Product > Add New Craft
    Admin > Product > Add New Fashion

and so on so forth and showing them also differently in website as dropdowns within STORE menu as sub-menus along with Products, Shopping Cart, Order Status....like this

STORE
    Art & Crafts
    Books
    Gadgets
    Shopping Cart
    Order Status

Can anybody guide me?

Thanks

• Aaron

MarketPress will always be one post type, doesn't make any sense to add more. What you are describing are taxonomies. You can already use the tags and categories taxonomies for what you describe. Example have Art, Book, and Crafts as categories and or subcats. Those already have links to filter products by which you could add to your navigation with a custom menu.

If the built in taxonomies are not enough for you, it's very easy to add more. I think our custompress plugin allows you to create taxonomies and attach to an exisitng custom post type (product).

• M.O.R.E.

Okay will do that.....saw a couple of sites that are using CustomPress as well as CustomPost Types to achieve what I am thinking...actually wanting to tweak things site-wide to bring in uniformity to the site's functionality....by making things easier for people who are not that familiar with WP

Thank you so much Kimberly and Aaron....you are really a big help....may bother you more with more of my silly requests...:slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.