Custom Select field added to Member Profile

I am attempting to add a select (dropdown) menu with two options to the member registration and profile views.

I have modified the class-ms-addon-profilefields.php file adding my new field:

Around line: 289 to the array of fields:

'digital_opt_out' => array(
					'label' => __( 'Digital Journal Access', 'membership2' ),
					'type' => MS_Helper_Html::INPUT_TYPE_SELECT,
					'field_options' => array('optIn'=>'Keep Access to Digital Journal','optOut'=>'Opt-Out of Access to Digital Journal'),
					'value' => array('optIn','optOut'),
				),

and adding it to the 2nd area around line 255:

$Profile_Fields['digital_opt_out']['value'] = get_the_author_meta( 'digital_opt_out', $user->ID );

in my functions.php file I added the custom field and hooks to save it. This works when it's a normal input field.

add_action( 'show_user_profile', 'bga_extra_user_profile_fields' );
add_action( 'edit_user_profile', 'bga_extra_user_profile_fields' );
function bga_extra_user_profile_fields( $user ) {
?>
  <h3><?php _e("Extra profile information", "blank"); ?></h3>
  <table class="form-table">
    <tr>
      <th><label for="digital_opt_out"><?php _e("Digital Journal Access"); ?></label></th>
      <td>
      <span class="description"><?php _e("Opting out of recieving access to the digital journal will donate cost to the travel fund."); ?></span>
      <select name="digital_opt_out" id="digital_opt_out">
    		<option value="">Please select</option>
        <option value="optIn" <?php echo ( get_the_author_meta( 'digital_opt_out', $user->ID )  == 'optOut') ? ' selected ' : ''; ?>>Keep Access to Digital Journal</option>
        <option value="optOut" <?php echo ( get_the_author_meta( 'digital_opt_out', $user->ID ) == 'optOut') ? ' selected ' : ''; ?>>Opt-Out of Access to Digital Journal</option>
      </select>
    </td>
    </tr>
  </table>
<?php
}

add_action( 'personal_options_update', 'bga_save_extra_user_profile_fields' );
add_action( 'edit_user_profile_update', 'bga_save_extra_user_profile_fields' );
function bga_save_extra_user_profile_fields( $user_id ) {
  $saved = false;
  if ( current_user_can( 'edit_user', $user_id ) ) {
    update_user_meta( $user_id, 'digital_opt_out', $_POST['digital_opt_out'] );
    $saved = true;
  }
  return true;
}

However, when I try to make it a select field and populate the field_options etc. I get a select DOM object without any options.

I tried following the support on this URL:
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/new-registration-field

but it seems to not be working for me. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. Also if there is a preferred place to put this modification vs. modifying the addon field.. i'm all ears. I couldn't find a good spot to hook into to make the modifications do to all the output buffering etc.

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated!