Custom Sidebar on the Q&A Page - How?

Hello!

I've created a Custom Sidebar (WPMU plugin) which is to be applied to the Question post type. It works perfectly well if a user goes to Q&A, then selections a question to view - the sidebar appears.

But I need a sidebar to appear on the top-level Q&A page. I cannot use the theme's default sidebar because that must contain more generalized widgets which appear in other areas of the site.

Granted, I could use the theme's default sidebar as the Q&A page sidebar, populated with the correct widgets for Q&A, then use all custom sidebars for every other page on the site, but that becomes a bit extreme for administration with many pages created and expected in the future.

It seems that I should be able to apply the custom Q&A sidebar to the main Q&A page. Is there a method?

Screenshots attached for clarity.

Support access is turned on if that helps.

Thanks for your help or insight!

James

• Andre Foisy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi there @James Wolfensberger,

Welcome back to the WPMU Dev community, and thank you for contacting our support team with your question.

I hope you're having a great day! :slight_smile:

I've been testing this on my own test multisite installation and I can have the widgets to appear on both main and questions pages.

What you're experiencing might be caused by a theme or plugin conflict. The granted access has an invalid token, you will need to revoke and grant it again, however would you mind running through the following troubleshooting steps quickly, in order to see if if you could discover something that you may have missed and that may resolve the issue while going through them?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Let's see how this will come out, let me know :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Andre

• James Wolfensberger
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Andre - thanks for your help...

I have tested this issue with the TwentyFourteen theme and it does persist.

I have used Cloner to create a clone of the main site, then deactivated all site level plugins but the issue persists. However, I would prefer to not deactivate the Network activated plugins. I'm not sure how to use Cloner to create a TEST environment in which I can deactivate both the Network-activated and Site-activated plugins. Can you suggest a method?

I've opened support access.

Thanks for your help and insight.

James

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @James Wolfensberger

I hope you are well today.

Support access is not working, maybe you are using external security plugin. Would you please send me login details and ftp details?

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (admin info and ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.