custom sidebar plugin causing disconnect from database (500 error)

I have a wp 3.8 site which is using smartmag from theme-sphere which includes WPMU custom sidebars. After adding 10+ custom sidebars the site began losing connection to the db. This would lock the admin and eventually bring the site down. I disabled the plugin and everything is running normal. I would really like to use the WPMU custom sidebar plugin. Any assistance would be helpful. /W

• Michael Bissett

Hey @swayne11, hope you're doing well today, welcome to the WPMU DEV Community! :slight_smile:

WordPress 3.8 is a fair ways behind, what if you were to try updating to the latest version here?

What kind of widgets are you inserting into these widget areas of yours? I'm not able to replicate this with the default WordPress widgets (after creating 12 custom sidebars on my site). What kind of hosting do you have presently?

Also, what's coming up in your server's error log about this? (you may need to reach out to your host about this)

Please advise,
    Michael

• swayne11

Michael/ the error log i was getting "MySQL server has gone away" and a warning in the admin that wordpress has "lost connection with the database" and eventually a error 500 timeout. Have not had issues since uninstalling the plugin. I will update the wp site to 4.1 this weekend and reinstall the plugin. Running quite a few plugins and the host is media temple with custom container on grid server. Thanks /W

• Michelle Shull

Hi, swayne!

It sounds like one of two things is happening here.
    1. Custom Sidebars Pro is pretty resource intensive, this may have been a simple case of expending the default WP memory limit. You can increase this one of three ways:
    a. Add or edit this line in wp-config.php:
    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '96M');
    b. if your host gives you access to it, you can edit your php.ini file (found in the root directory of your server) like so:
    memory_limit = 64M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (64MB)
    c. if you can't access or aren't comfortable editing php.ini, you can add this to your .htaccess file:
    php_value memory_limit 64M
    2. If I'm not mistaken, I believe there was a cap on the number of sidebars you could create in earlier versions of WordPress, it could be using 3.8, you were hitting this cap.

Let us know if you found a solution with 4.1, or if we can be of more help here.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.