[Custom Sidebars Pro] Custom Sidebars - Plugin update broke website

I got the WSOD in admin only during a plugin update, and it turned out to be Custom Sidebars Pro.

I got this from debug:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method TheLib3_Wrap::get_version() in /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/custom-sidebars/inc/external/wpmu-lib/inc/class-thelib-ui.php on line 342

Then I tried to disable the plugin via the Hub (since it broke my access to the plugin page) and got a message that "Deactivation failed". So I renamed the plugin folder, and boom, I've got my admin back.

Anyway, I'm ok for now but want to be able to run this plugin on my site, so if it can be fixed or we can sort out the conflict, that would be great :slight_smile:

Kalico

• Dimitris

Hey there kalico ,

hope you're doing good today and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

I've searched for any previous reported errors like that, but couldn't locate anything.

I also noticed that the line reported is about enqueueing styles in older PHP versions (<5.3).

So I even tried to create a fresh local WP site with PHP v.5.2.17 (that was slow!!), but I was still unable to reproduce this, as I can activate it without any issues.

Having said that, could you please grant temporary support access for us, so we could better examine your server specs and settings and try to reproduce this once more?
    Here's how you can do it, via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin (please do let us know here in your next reply, that access has been granted):
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• kalico

Hi Dimitrus,

Thanks for looking at this, and sorry for the long delay on my side. I have enabled support access so you can take a look around.

That's interesting what you said about enqueueing, because my PHP version on that server is 5.5.9:
    http://dev.nrocnetwork.org/misc/info.php

I do see a message in debug:

Notice: wp_enqueue_style was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4147

but I'm not sure which plugin it's referring to (generated by a wp core file, not touching that :slight_smile: )

I have turned on debug output to the screen (ignore the bowe codes warnings unless there is some really good reason to think they are relevant -- they've been there forever and they haven't been a problem).

I've also turned on support access.

Custom Sidebars is currently enabled on two sites of the network and breaking their admin backend only:

http://dev.nrocnetwork.org/wp-admin/ (main network site)
    http://dev.nrocnetwork.org/nroc/wp-admin/ (sub site)

Here is a (WSOD) test page on the live site:
    http://dev.nrocnetwork.org/membership/benefits-of-membership/

I can't get a page from the other site, apparently because of domain mapping (this is a sandbox site, but mapping was on when I brought it online because it's a copy of the live site). I can turn that off if needed by disabling the domain mapping plugin, but won't bother unless it's necessary.

Hopefully that's enough to get you going on figuring this out! Thanks a lot.

• Dimitris

Hello kalico,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I couldn't reach your site, neither use support access, as I'm getting a screen that my IP address is blocked due to spam. Even some other teammates couldn't use it, despite that they're located elsewhere.

Could you please remove this security or whitelist IP addresses coming from Greece, so I could carry on here?

In case you need a specific IP address, you can use 141.255.0.194, even though it's not dedicated and won't be a safe solution for me.

I also checked the wp_enqueue_style() functions in our plugin and seems that they use the correct hooks, so above notice message should be coming from another plugin. Keep in mind though, that notices aren't causing any procedure to halt though.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• kalico

Hi Dimitris,

Thanks for looking in. I have removed Greece from the blocking.

We have a site that serves only US customers, and we get SLAMMED by bots from other countries, so we finally just shut them all down to keep our site alive. But this particular site that you're looking at here is a dev site, so it generally stays off the radar of bots.......but it's also on a very small server, so if any bots do get ahold of the URL and start crawling it, it will come to a dead halt. So we keep blocking on anyway.

I am going to be off the grid or have intermittent access for a few days, so if you need to get eyes on this from a colleague in another IP or country, please feel free to go into Wordfence settings (Network >> Wordfence >> Firewall >> Blocking >> Country Blocking ) and unblock whatever country you need to. Again, this is a dev site, so there's no risk to our live site or data. (if you can....might be problematic if the borked plugin is preventing access to that area! )

Also I want to let you know that we have intensive security on our site, and my IT guys won't give out direct FTP access to anyone. If you need that level of access, I have to get your IP address, and send you a key file that will allow you to use SFTP. So if things get that messy, we'll have to deal with it next week.

Thanks for taking a look!

PS I also extended support access for a few days!

• Dimitris

Hey there kalico,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I'm going to need some server access to better troubleshoot this.
    I would most probably need to perform a complete conflict test, so please do let me know, if you already have a backup stored, so I can safely proceed with that.
    I'm still using 141.255.0.194, so please reach me through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    - WordPress admin (login url/username/password)
    - SFTP credentials
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.