Custom Sidebars Pro Seriously Broken

I don't know how else to put it, but Custom Sidebars Pro is completely broken on my site. It was working in previous version, but after some recent updates it no longer works (at least my widget page is totally broken).

I still get the sidebars that I created working on the front end. But trying to load the widgets page results in complete failure. It tries to load for about 4-5 minutes, then just stops with a fully broken page. No other page in the dashboard is broken, just the Widgets page. It's kind of hard to explain how badly broken it is so I've enabled support access WPMU DEV Dashboard so you can log in and see it for yourself.

Currently, I'm totally unable to modify my sidebars or widgets.

The site URL is http://shmoovies.prometheusfire.me

  • Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

    It started after the recent updates to the plugin. However, I did some troubleshooting and have narrowed it down.

    I have a small custom plugin that does nothing but register a custom post type and 3 custom taxonomies. The conflict is here, but I don't think it is my custom plugin that is actually causing the problem.

    I do have about 10,000 posts of the custom post type setup. There are probably. When the custom taxonomies come into play, there are about 35,000 of those. Turning off the custom plugin deactivates all these records from WordPress so they aren't read by anything in the backend.

    With my custom plugin activated and Custom Sidebars Pro deactivated, my widgets page loads fine (I noticed that my custom sidebars are still present, is it possible to create and edit my sidebars and then deactivate the plugin and continue to use them?).

    What it looks like is that Custom Sidebars has some trouble with large sites and scaling up when the databases are big with lots of posts and taxonomies.

    The site linked about is a development site, you are welcome to test things out by activating and deactivating plugins to see what I mean.

  • Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

    I'm marking this as resolved. I just deactivated the Custom Sidebars Pro plugin and did my sidebars the old-fashioned way by registering them in the code. No point in having the conflict if it can be avoided, I don't think it is an issue with the custom plugin as there is so little code in there to begin with.

    However, if you do think it is a scaling because of the large database, you are welcome to look at the site and try some things out since I already have a large database in place.

  • Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

    Hi there @Saunt Valerian,

    Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

    Your code looks good and I've tried on mine install with a database of 10,000 posts and multiple plugins and couldn't replicate.

    I see when Custom Sidebars Pro is active, there's a 500 internal server error on the widgets page (Screenshot attached).

    Is there anything in your error log on the server?

    Thank you!

    Kind Regards
    Jack.

  • Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

    I've given up on this. I wasn't aware of the 500 error, but when I reactivated the plugin I got frustrated with how the site responded while trying to troubleshoot this. I'm not seeing anything in the server logs, but may be looking in the wrong place at the moment.

    I have to abandon this because it is burning too many hours of development time on this project. I've reverted to building the sidebars the old way. On the upside of all of this, I am using this plugin on another site that has about 5 different custom post types and it has been magical in setting up sidebars and handling the display of them.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.