Custom Taxonomy

I purchased this plug in recently and have set up a custom content type with a custom taxonomy. When I add a new post to my custom type the custom taxonomies show up, but I cannot "check" / select a category. They boxes are greyed out. I think I have all the permissions set right so that I (the admin) have rights to set the categories in my taxonomy, but something isn't working right. Please help, thanks.

Jess

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@streetfire

Hello, we spoke about this in live chat today, and I wasn't able to reproduce this problem.

Can you please provide screenshots of the settings page when you edit the custom post type within CustomPress, as well as the settings from when you edit the Taxonomy?

Also, have you recently used any permissions plugins? I know you said you didn't have any at the moment, but have you used any? I'm just wondering because one theory I have is that CustomPress created new Wordpress cabailities, but perhaps they've been removed somehow.

Best regards,
    Alexander Rohmann

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@streetfire

I removed the credentials from your post as other members can view this page. But I still have a copy of them in my email. I took a look, and still couldn't figure this out. I'll pass on your login info to Joe to keep him in the look, perhaps he has an idea on how to fix this, otherwise we may need to get in touch with the plugin developer for insight.

Best regards,
    Alexander Rohmann

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jess,

This is a tough one and indeed I cannot replicate the item with the little bit of information I have received and would need to see screen shots of the entire Custom Press settings.

Another telling item is that you are running the Genesis Framework which most frameworks make things a bit more difficult until you have integrated the plugin within the framework itself.

With that said, lets find out ....

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven/Twelve theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• streetfire
    • Flash Drive

Hi Joe, thank so much for your guys' continued support on this. I have done as you suggested by switching to the Twenty Twelve theme and disabled all additional plug ins. Unfortunately the problem still exists. I also tried installing the custompress plug-in on another WP site I have and the problem existed there too. It must be something with my settings? I've gone through the tutorials though so I'm not sure which setting it would be.

I can give you my log in information if you like. That would be easier than doing screen captures of everything.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @streetfire

As discussed in the LIve Support just a few moments ago, please email me admin login creds using the form on this page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Be sure to select "I have a different question" so it gets to the right inbox :slight_smile:

Please include the following info:

Attn: Patrick
    Site URL: ___________
    Admin username: ______________
    Pass: _____________
    Link to this thread: _____________

I'll take a look for you a bit later on this evening.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

G'morning @streetfire

I got your email and just went in to your wp-admin to see if I can figure out what is going on with your custom taxonomies.

Unfortunately, even after creating a test CPT, the taxonomy associated to it cannot be selected in the post editor (or quick edit).

I tried to reproduce the issue on two different dev sites, but could not.

This leads me to believe there may either be something conflicting at the network level, or the plugin installation was somehow faulty.

Please try deleting the plugin, then reinstalling.

Also, could you tell me how you have your network set up? When I navigate to countytractor.com, I get a password-protected page.

• streetfire
    • Flash Drive

Hi Patrick.
    That is curious. Yes countytractor.com is one wordpress install, with store.countytractor.com being a separate wordpress install in a sub-directory - where this problem resides. The root directory has a password protect plug-in so people can't see it. I have tried deactivated said plug-in on the root and it did not help.

I have also tested the custompress plug in on another site of mine not connected with this one. It had the same issue.

Perhaps you are onto something with the conflict being at the network level. All these WP installs are on GoDaddy's servers. I can try installing this on a non-godaddy hosted site and see what the outcome is. I will try and get back to you.

• streetfire
    • Flash Drive

Patrick,
    I installed the plug in on two non-Godaddy sites. They still did not work! sheesh! Is it possible the plug in could have gotten damaged when I downloaded it or something? Perhaps I can email you the plug-in I have and you can try my version?

Open to suggestions!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @streetfire

How did you install the plugin on your sites?

With the WordPress plugin uploader? Or via FTP?

Have you tried with our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin?

Have you also tried downloading a fresh copy of the plugin to see if the one you have is indeed corrupted somehow?

It's a weird one indeed :slight_frown:

• streetfire
    • Flash Drive

Previously I had used the WP uploader. I just tried all of your suggestions - first installing through WPMU dashboard and then uploading a newer version via FTP. At first, I still had the same problem with both methods. So, I frustratingly was going through the settings to see if I could get it to work. And at one point, it worked! I figured it was something I checked in the settings, but I went back to uncheck it and try to break it again, but it didn't work. Perhaps the uploading via FTP really fixed it and it just took a minute or two for the web site to update it? Not sure, but it seems to be working now. :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jess,

Thank you for letting us know and GREAT follow up Patrick!

Indeed FTP is the way I install and is indeed the most accurate thereof having the ability to check file sizes, names, etc. against the original.

I rarely use the automated items but do use the automated items for updates and if that goes wonky then I just FTP it on up.

In any event, happy to see it is now resolved and thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.