Customising the Spirit homepage to include a registration option

I have installed Upfront with Spirit and I am now trying to customize my homepage. I should also say that this is on a multisite with buddypress.

The home page I have created is using the default template that I have stripped of the original elements/text. I am trying to build a homepage that resembles linkedin or facebook (when the user is logged out).
I am particularly struggling to see how to incorporate a sign up option on the page...any advice?

Thanking you in advance,
B

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Betty,

I hope you're having a great day!

You can place a signup an a homepage of your site in three ways:

1. Create a button linking to the WP registration form.

Drag and drop a button element from Upfront's "Draggable Elements" box onto the page, double-click on the "Click here" text, the tooltip with a "chain icon" will appear. Click on the "chain" and add link to the WP registration page (yoursite.com/wp-register.php or yoursite.com/wp-login.php?action=register).

This is fast and easy solution but there's no registration form on a page and the button doesn't change or disappear for logged-in users.

2). Use our Membership Pro plugin which will allow you to place the form on any page you wish and also is meant to be implemented in MultiSite networks.

You can get Membership Pro from here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

3) Use "Gravity Forms" plugin (though it's a costly option) which also includes a registration form that can be places anywhere you want. You can find Gravity Forms here: http://www.gravityforms.com/

I hope that helps and if you have more questions I'll be glad to help.

Regards,
    Adam

Betty

Thank you for checking, Adam.
    I struggled with Upfront/Spirit for a while and didn't manage to make it work for my site (my front end customisations were not being properly saved) In the end I decided to use 2015 as my theme and the "register" page as my front page. I hope the latter is not bad practice? I am working on setting up a closed network that only lets in registered users or lets visitors who have a sign up code register. Now having done all this I am still unsure which pages are buddypress pages...is there an easy way to find out? I assume using buddypress pages (as opposed to wordpress pages) is the only way to keep my pages private for my users considering that I am not familiar with coding?

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Betty,

I hope you're having a great day!

Our developers are working on Upfront updates, so hopefully next releases will fix those issues for good. I can't give you any ETA on this though, so the best way to be informed "on-the-fly" would be to keep the theme installed (even if not active).

As for setting up a "register" page as a front page, it's absolutely up to you. Everything that works for you as expected can't be a bad practice, unless for example it breaks the security. Which isn't the case this time

If it comes to keeping the pages private you've got a few options here:

1) You can use our Membership Pro plugin that I mentioned previously
    2) You can check our Protected Content plugin here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

3) You can use native WP feature that lets you password-protect the page, however it isn't the most convenient and elastic solution

4) You can even mix those features!

Of course, both our plugins (see p. 1 and 2) work great with BuddyPress. That said, it all depends on what do you wish to achieve. Would you elaborate a bit on this, I'll be able to come up with a solution for you, I think

All the best!
    Adam