Customization of header area

Hi I'm trying to set-up the Nelo theme.

I have my own custom header graphic that is 960 x 175 that I would like to use. I see that the container for the theme is only 900; can that be enlarged without causing any other issues? If this is a problem, I can adjust the width. The real issue is inserting the full width banner into this theme that has a text title header and small image as header. Please advise what I need to do to make these adjustments.

Also, the intro text is too large and I would like to insert a "read more" halfway through the post and have readers click on it to open up a new page with the full article. Since this is a custom home page that does not use the visual editor, I don't know how to do this. Please advise.

• Eric G.

@antKat

This is definitely possible with a few small edits. Here's some notes. All of these changes will be made in the style.css file and the header.php file.

I have my own custom header graphic that is 960 x 175 that I would like to use. I see that the container for the theme is only 900; can that be enlarged without causing any other issues? If this is a problem, I can adjust the width

I tested it and you may want to adjust other things after, but it doesn't react too badly. On line 92 of the css file change the width to 960.

The real issue is inserting the full width banner into this theme that has a text title header and small image as header. Please advise what I need to do to make these adjustments.

You could just take out the image part and set the logo as an image. Find the <div id="custom-image-top"> in the header.php file and comment it out (add <!-- before the opening div tag and --> after the closing div tag.

Then you will need to adjust the size of the size logo to 960 (linke 96 in the css 'site-title')

Also, the intro text is too large

Line 144 in the style sheet!

and I would like to insert a "read more" halfway through the post and have readers click on it to open up a new page with the full article. Since this is a custom home page that does not use the visual editor, I don't know how to do this. Please advise.

where you want the read more insert this (change the url to the URL you want to link to.`Read More...

Please reward me points if I was helpful! Working towards my lifetime membership!

• DavidM

Hi antKat,

You can follow Eric's very clear instructions for accomplishing those things. I'd just like to add that to avoid theme updates overwriting your changes, the best way to go about making such changes is by using child themes.

There's an awesome video tutorial on parent and child themes at the following:
    http://buddydress.com/2010/05/parent-and-child-themes-explored/

And to go a bit further, you'll definitely want to explore using a CSS tool like Firebug for Firefox or Google Chrome's inspection tool. A great tutorial on Firebug can be found here:
    http://buddydress.com/2010/06/firebug-installing-discovering-and-using-the-tutorial/

And those are just some extra resources to go along with Eric's most awesome instructions!

Again, many thanks Eric!

Cheers!
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.