Customize a theme I own to be a BuddyPress child

I'm using a theme I own on tb5music.com for my band. I'm trying to build a community similar to edublogs but for bands at theindiearmy.com where bands can easily create a free website with all the plugins configured and ready to go without headaches. I want to use the soundcheck theme as the configured BuddyPress child for band sites and Studio as the BuddyPress parent landing page for theindiearmy.com.

Is this something you guys can help me with? I want to use all of your plugins and really want to make sure the theme will work well.

I purchased Soundcheck under the following license from press75:
Licensing & Use
All Press75 WordPress themes are licensed under the GNU General Public License. You have the right to use purchased themes on as many concurrent sites as you like. You are authorized to make any necessary modification(s) to Press75.com themes to suit your needs.

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi there Bobby!

Sure thing you can use it, but I wouldn't use it on the site that has Buddypress. I like your idea of using the Studio theme on the site that has Buddypress because all of the coding is done for you to accommodate BP. Although BP runs networkwide, it won't affect the theming of the other sites. Since they'll have the same file structure as any other Wordpress site, it's just fine.

However, I do have some thoughts for you that could make your situation easier. First off, in addition to ProSites helping you sell upgrades to your sites, you can also use our Default Blog Template:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

to set the theme that you want folks to use. The second thing is that Parent Themes and Child themes are a big deal in Wordpress and it's important to keep them straight. The good news is that all of our themes come with both! When you install the parent theme, inside you'll find another folder that has the child theme, which you should move to the Themes folder along side its parent.

Now for Soundcheck, you'll have to create your own Child theme for use with Blog Templates. You can read up on that more on the Codex, but don't worry, it's not that troublesome. Essentially, a child theme is just a folder located in your site's themes folder with a file called style.css, which has the following structure:

/*
    Theme Name: YOUR THEME Child Theme
    Version: 1.0
    Description: A child theme for YOUR THEME.
    Author:
    Author URL: http://www.yourURL.com
    Template: parent-theme-folder-name-here
    */
    @import url("../parent-theme-folder-name-here/style.css");

You will, of course, need to change your details in the above structure. Notice, there are 3 important bits of info:

1. the child theme is given a name, which is what will appear in the backend when selecting a theme.
    2. The parent theme's folder is named as the Template
    3. Info from the parent theme's css is brought in using the @import

All of our themes come with a pre-made child theme, but it'll need a little help from you to get it in the right folder. For more info you can consult our WPMU DEV page on child themes or the WP Codes for child themes.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Paul

• Bobby

Thanks Paul,

I made created the directory as you suggested by copying from the studio-child example and making the changes to point to my soundcheck parent theme. Unfortunately though, when I activate the soundcheck-child theme on my test child blog site, things acting screwy. I noticed that studio was created from the default buddy press theme and customized. Soundcheck wasn't. It is a normal wordpress theme. Are there other things missing in the soundcheck parent theme that need to be added for buddypress support?

• Bobby

I've made progres...

I started over by copying the studio parent directory and calling it soundcheck.
    From there I ftp'd my soundcheck files into that directory overwriting similar files.

Next, I created a soundcheck-child as suggested above with the Template and @import statements.

I also create a functions.php file in the soundcheck-child file with the following:

<?php

if ( !function_exists( 'bp_dtheme_enqueue_styles' ) ) :
    function bp_dtheme_enqueue_styles() {

// You should bump this version when changes are made to bust cache
    $childversion = '20130208';

// Register stylesheet of soundcheck child theme
    wp_register_style( 'soundcheck', get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/style.css', array(), $childversion );

// Enqueue stylesheet of soundcheck chid theme
    wp_enqueue_style( 'soundcheck' );
    }
    add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'bp_dtheme_enqueue_styles' );
    endif;

?>

Last, I had to create an images file and copy my template images from the soundcheck directory to the soundcheck-child directory.

Everything seems to be working now!!!

If you don't mind, check it out and see if you notice any potential problems.

parent site - theindiearmy.com
    child site - theindiearmy.com/tb5music

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:

• Paul Barthmaier

Hey @Bobby,

We have to back up a bit here. The child theme for Studio is there and Buddypress compatible, so that's the only one you need to worry about for Buddypress. The other child themes, the one that you are going to use with Soundcheck, that's the one that I'm, suggesting that you build from scratch, using the recipe I gave above. It's not going to work if you take the child theme of Studio because that's a Buddypress thing. Standard WordPress child themes don't have to use functions.php. They can, to get more functionality, but they don't need it. I list 3 steps above and just above that is a framework for your child theme. Please use that structure.

Cheers,
    Paul

Broken stylesheet for theme name in Multisite? Did you know: http://goo.gl/XKJGA

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.