customize the menu of magazine theme

The Magazine theme says that it doesn't support custom menus but I want to customize the menu. I have two issues with the automatically generated menu: I want to add a link to an outside url and I want to add posts without having them show up in the menu.
Basically, the only way I can see to add pictures to the main page slide show is to create posts but I don't want the posts to show up in the menu. Also, the site is a sub site of a multi-site installation and I want to add a link back to the home site on the main menu. Please advise as to how I can do these two things to my menu.

• Vaughan

hiya

you would need to edit the theme code for that. so you will need to create a child theme first.

luckily the magazine theme has a child-theme included.

so first you will need to copy the child theme

bp-magazine/themes/bp-magazine-child

to your themes folder.

so you then have

wp-content/themes/bp-magazine-child

then goto your themes and activate the bp-child-theme

then you'll need to copy the header.php from the parent theme into the bp-child-theme

once there you can edit the code, to remove the built in menu. but you'll need to add the code for the custom menu.

i have no idea what the repercussions of doing this will be, but you should be able to add a custom menu by reading this.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Navigation_Menus

you'll find the menu code wrapped in a div with id navigation inside header.php

but like i said, this theme was built for magazine style so has it's own nav menus designed for that purpose to list categories and such.

hope this helps.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.