Customizing the components & display of a listing

I've got the Directory plugin installed, mostly configured and it's working. The admin of it is good, the setting up of it is good, but I feel that the final output display of any given listing is sub-average, at best. Like others, I'd like to control the usage and display of such items. For instance, the following items are displayed in order down the page that I'd like to have control over:

- A featured image is shown by itself above all of the meta, directly underneath the H1 Title. Would love to have control over where it goes, for instance, floated right along with the body content.
- I don't want any meta ("Posted on MMM, DD, YYY by Admin")
- I want to disable the "Ratings" system.
- I don't want any reviews (Comments) or anything related to it. Even if I disable comments on the page which removes the comment form, the a URL "No Reviews >>" that clicks to nowhere. And worse, it's in the middle of the content.
- I want to put the Category entry at the bottom, or at the top, NOT in the middle of the content.
- I don't want "contact user" to be anywhere (though I plan to integrated a better gravity form solution)
- Finally, the listing content is shown at the bottom of all the stuff I want disabled.

Also, regardless of what settings I select (Table, UL or DIV) the custom fields always show up in a table. This seems more of a bug and possibly should be posted in a new thread.

Since there are no admin controls over many/most of these, I understand we may need to hack some PHP and maybe CSS. What file(s) do we need to look into to do this?

Thanks!

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya

thanks for the feedback. I will move this to the features & feedback section so the developers can assess your concerns.

directory plugin comes with a default theme, which you can use to create a child theme with.

located in directory/themes/default/

hope this helps

thanks.

• blakemiller
    • New Recruit

Thanks Vaughan. Are there any guides or specifications on how the child theme setup works? There isn't any mention of this in any of the documentation online that I have found yet.

FWIW - I understand that customizing the output display would be difficult, but I would think that at a minimum, you'd allow the enabling/disabling of some of the key features as I noted above (reviews, commenting, meta data, etc.) I mean, time and thought was given to how to stylize the output of the custom fields (which are option, and also doesn't work.) yet the fact that I can't even disable a major function like "user reviews" is a mystery.

Thanks again,
    Blake

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.