Customizing the Jobs plugin

I know this is a jobs plugin but I would love to customize it for another purpose. Instead of jobs I need people to register a predetermined number of talents (17) I'm thinking I could have them register as experts but I would need to clean up the code to replace "jobs" and take away some of the categories or $$ boxes. Is this possible or would I basically be rewriting the entire plugin?

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Bruce

Thank you for your question!

Yes, you can freely add or remove custom code to the plugin. However, I would suggest to make any modifications (if you can) by adding mu-plugins, for the reasons below:

- You will still be getting plugins update with fixed bugs
    - You will still have full support if something goes wrong

It's entirely up to you!

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Bruce,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

The reason why you should use mu-plugins is explained by Nastia above already, I am quoting it here again:

- You will still be getting plugins update with fixed bugs
    - You will still have full support if something goes wrong

And mu-plugin or muse use plugin are custom plugins that gets loaded automatically without activating them un-like usual WordPress plugins. Take a look at following article to get an idea of what they are and how you could create them.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/using-mu-plugins/

In your particular case, Nastia asked you do add changes in mu-plugin so your changes don't get overridden when you update this plugin.

However, if you are planning to take on this plugin and will be managing it entirely then you don't need to worry about.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.