CustomPress change author on custom post type

I do not know if the issue I am having is a CustomPress issue or a wordpress issue.

I have one custom post type "ex. Widget" created with CustomPress. I created a number of "Widget" posts as admin.

I wanted to changed the author of a Widget so I created a new user and set the user as an Author. I then changed the author for 1 of the "Widget" posts to the new Author.

The problem is that the new author cannot edit the "Widget" post assigned to him. I can go to the "Widget" listing and see the one post assigned to the author. It shows the Author user as the author, but the only option available for the post is View. The Title is just black text instead of being a link and there is no edit link under the post title.

Any idea? I have tried the exact same steps with a regular post and it functions as expected.

Thanks!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @ShickWebDesign

That would be WordPress I believe.

As the post was originally posted by someone else, even if you assign another user with the role of author to it, I believe WP still regards it as having been written by the original author.

You can test my (silly?) theory by assigning a standard post to a different author, then seeing if the new author can now edit the post. If he/she can, then I'm wrong. :slight_smile:

• ShickWebDesign
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the response but I did try what you are suggesting. Please see the last paragraph of my question:

"Any idea? I have tried the exact same steps with a regular post and it functions as expected."

When doing so with a normal post, the author is able to edit the post.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @ShickWebDesign

Oops, you're right, I missed that very important bit, didn't I? My bad, sorry :slight_frown:

Do you have any plugin or script running that alters/modifies user roles in any way?

In the meantime, I'll see if I can get the plugin developer in here to provide some insight into why this may be happening and, hopefully, what can be done about it. Hang on...

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

If you set your custom post type's "Capability type" to something other than "post" then you have to give your new author's role the capability to edit 'widgets'

Even if you left it as 'post', your new author would need capabilites to edit. A subscribet ofr instance would not be able to edit it even if it was his. You'l probably need a minimum of "Contributor". Author should work so I suspect the first reason is the cause.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@ShickWebDesign

@Arnold is right on the money with that tip (thanks!).

In CustomPress content types, select your content type and click the "Edit" link. You should see an area labeled "Role Capabilities Settings". There you can edit the capabilities required for various roles to edit your new content type.

If you don't see that area, tick the "Edit" checkbox in the area above labeled "Capability Type" and save. Then go back in to edit again and you should see it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.