Custompress Custom Field & Taxonomy in Marketpress and/or BuddyPress

I would like to add cutom taxonomies and custom fields into marketpress:

Into custom post type "Products" - colour, materials used, time to dispatch, etc.
Into store setup - such as location, terms & conditions, etc

A couple of questions:

1. Can custompress be used to do this? If not how?

2. Should store setup information be stored with the vendors profile in buddypress instead? If this is the case is there a special plugin for buddypress to do this?

Sorry for so many marketpress forum posts - I understand it is a new plugin, but really want to get the functionality setup ASAP. Thanks.

• Mason

Hiya Max,

As to #1 we are working on getting this implemented very soon. At the moment, I don't think custompress does well with custom post types created by other plugins. We're working to develop an import/export feature for it, but I'm not sure that would solve it for ya either.

2. Should store setup information be stored with the vendors profile in buddypress instead? If this is the case is there a special plugin for buddypress to do this?

We don't have the plugin currently setup to work this way. I can see where this might be helpful on a BuddyPress install, but MarketPress is meant to work regardless of BuddyPress so you'd have to create a whole set of conditional rules checking for BuddyPress activation first.

As far as transferring to BuddyPress profile, I'm not sure. It's possible you create the form fields and have the information be updated in both places, but this would also be a custom solution.

Hope that helps a little. Good ideas and we do appreciate the feedback :smiley:

Thanks!

• Max

@masonjames - thanks for the feedback.

The import/export feature would probalby be great for adding additional info to the Products post type in Marketpress - very much looking forwrad to this functionality. Any advice on ETA?
    I think custom taxonomies & fields are very important with an ecommerce plugin.
    ---------------
    So - onto the user (vendor) profiles having extra fields.
    I do have Buddypress, and Buddypress already has profiles, so just use this profile for the vendor? This seems like probably the mosyt logical - unless of course the marketpress roadmap already has vendor profile being developed (maybe even just being able to be created by Custompress??).

BTW - is there a feature request / bug reporting / roadmap page for the different projects - may reduce questions, provide consolidated feedback and provide a bit more knowledge for us users. Perhaps even a posts filter - as opposed to search?

• Max

@masonjames - just wondering . . . if I gravity forms (use with membership plugin) that should create the extra profile fields I require for the vendor profile, have them available on the signup page, etc.

---Perhaps this would be the best way to tackle it?

- Does it matter where the data is stored, as long as it is stored against the profile - why a choice between buddypress and the "normal" profile? What's the big difference?

• Ivan

@Max

Into custom post type "Products" - colour, materials used, time to dispatch, etc.
    Into store setup - such as location, terms & conditions, etc

A couple of questions:

1. Can custompress be used to do this? If not how?

In fact you can do exactly that. CustomPress lets you enhance your available post types. Just activate CustomPress along with active MarketPress, go to CustomPress's Content Types menu and when you click on adding new taxonomy or new field, you should see the MarketPress post type in the "post types" multiselect box. Select it and your taxonomies and custom fields will be associated with MarketPress's default post type. For the integration on the front-end use the generated embed codes.

2. Does it matter where the data is stored, as long as it is stored against the profile - why a choice between buddypress and the "normal" profile? What's the big difference?

When you have the opportunity to choose always choose the "normal" WordPress profile so you can be sure the data will work irregardless of the BuddyPress plugin. I think there is a lot of custom data tables inside BuddyPress which sooner or later will be merged with the standard WordPress DB tables. I can't advice about MarketPress or Membership specifics since I am not lead developer there and I might say something stupid, but my general advice will be to always try to have data integrity - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_integrity - meaning keep your data clean, unambiguous and well organized.

• Kristin

I know this thread is really old, but I'm not finding much recent discussion of custom fields in MarketPress. We added a custom field, but are now having issues with the sort order features, which I've tracked back to CustomPress by starting with a fresh WP install and gradually adding to it and testing sort. It seems once a CustomPress field is added to the product post type, it's breaking the sort feature, but deleting the field and the plugin don't fix it. We're moving to a fresh install and using a different plugin to create the custom field. Has anyone else experienced this or been able to fix it?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.