Custompress: How do I get these custom fields to show up on my products?

Custompress: How do I get these custom fields to show up on my products so customers can fill in data as they add the product to the cart?

• SteveBrand
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have MarketPress installed. Then I was looking around for a way to add some custom fields to a product that the customer can add content to when they buy a product. Like adding what price point they want or customizing a phone number on a banner we will print them. After looking around, several people recommended I install Custompress to add these fields.

I tried to add the fields but cannot get them to appear in the custom post that is my product.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings SteveBrand,

Thank you for the clarification which is certainly appreciated.

We now have the what and where and all that remains is the how to do it.

However, this may indeed be the wrong application for adding these fields in which I would think form fields would be more accurate for performing this action. But I certainly do not know everything so I will ask the big gun of the Custom Press plugin.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

You can sorta do it. Market press uses a custom post type called “product” Custom press would let you associate custom fields with that post type, but yu would have to modify all the templates and screens to manipulate those fields.yourself.both front end and backend.

Custom fields are stored as post meta data and would have the limitations associated with meta data such as not being directly searchable etc. You would need to add the embed codes for the various fields to the templates and add code to do inout and output.

• SteveBrand
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So do I define a custom post type or not. Then just create the custom fields and insert them into the marketpress template file for the screen I want them to appear. Then when that screen is up, the customer will be able to fill in those fields? I don’t need them to be searchable. Just to capture the info when adding to the cart.

• SteveBrand
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok. I am pretty good with editing CSS and moving chunks of code around but am not a programmer.

1. Do I need to actually add the fields to the database table?

2. What do I need custom press for.

3. Is there possibly some step by step documentation to make this happen?

Thanks for your help!!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings SteveBrand,

In an effort to be of further assistance here and in full admittance that I am not a coder myself ….

1. Do I need to actually add the fields to the database table?

Personally I would consider dumping Custom Press for this purpose and work it out using the form method which I believe will certainly work out the best using something like the Form Maker plugin ~or~ Formidable Forms plugins ~or~ if you wanted to go really heavy duty Gravity Forms.

2. What do I need custom press for.

At least concerning your current project, it is my opinion you would be better served with the form generating products I mentioned above.

3. Is there possibly some step by step documentation to make this happen?

This is by all means custom coding which is beyond the scope of the support we provide here as described by my direct inline Boss and the WPMU Dev lead developer though we do try to help you if we can and have an idea of a solution.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.