CustomPress in a high-traffic environment?

Hey everybody. Just signed up here, going to start testing CustomPress tonite with an eye towards using it on a high traffic wp site (30k standard blog posts, traffic bursts up to 2k pageviews/minute).

I'm going to be using it in a straightforward way that's very analogous to a simple imdb -- a database of items with basic descriptions and various attributes.

We're on a dedicated server (and will probably move to AWS soon) that can handle the blog fine at its current traffic levels and looking good towards future growth, but I'm at the point where I have to think carefully about implementing new features and what they might do to us a year down the road. I'm thinking maybe a year from now we could easily have 100k items in this database we'd be putting together with CustomPress.

So! All that in mind, any thoughts on building a very large group of items in CustomPress in a high-traffic environment?

• Patrick

Hi @Mark

Welcome to the forums!

The traffic to your site wouldn't have any impact at all on the functionality of CustomPress.

The plugin is simply an interface that facilitates the process of creating and managing custom post types, custom fields & taxonomies. That's it.

Among some the more useful features for your project is the ability to bulk assign taxonomies to CPT's (screenshot). If you have a large quantity of common terms to assign to multiple post types, that is likely to be a great time-saver. :slight_smile:

• Mark

Hi Patrick -- thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Past a point in scaling, I worry about everything :wink:. Like what is having to let search engines crawl 100k extra pages (or 500k, or whatever) going to do to us, and I don't really have my head around whether displaying my custom post types is going to be heavier, query-wise, than displaying a standard blog post. I know that's not necessary plugin-specific but I thought I'd post to see if anything jumped out at anybody with experience.

That said, I'm going to give it a little test on my dev site and jump in. A professionally supported plugin gives me a lot of peace of mind, and if it's generating crazy pageviews down the road, a good problem to have on balance.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.