Custompress: unable to select parent

I seem to be having trouble getting a custom post type to behave as a page. I have selected "page capabilities" and "hierarchical", and tried fiddling with the capabilities field (although not sure quite how that works). Now when I add new posts of the custom type I get the box which says select parent, but the dropdown only shows "main", not any of the custom type test "pages" I created. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Kimberly

jvarn13,

Welcome to WPMU fourms!

Have you enabled your sites to use your custom post types?

Immediately under the activation instructions on the Installation and Use page you'll find how to do this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/installation/

It's also a great step by step to re-check to make sure you're covering all the steps when creating your new post types, just to make sure you have everything covered :slight_smile:

Let me know how this works out for you.

Kimberly

• jvarn13

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've created a template called single-region.php, and other than this type the site already has some successfully operating post-types, custom-taxonomies and fields created with Custompress.

Although I've successfully created hierarchical taxonomies, this is the first time I've tried to create a custom post type that has a parent.

When creating the new post type, everything is default except:

1. Under "Supports": 3 items checked: Title, Thumbnail and Page Attributes
    2. Hierarchical: "TRUE"

[I realized upon careful reading that "capabilities" is irrelevant]

The problem exists from the admin side on the screen where I am creating a new "region" page - I can enter the title etc, select the related taxonomies in their respective boxes, and can even see the drop-down box under "Attributes" for selecting the parent. The problem is that it doesn't find anything other than "Main Page (no parent).

As the post type "regions" I was trying to get to function as a page already had some posts before I changed the settings as above, I have tried creating another new page type with the same settings and then adding new posts, but with the same result.

Many thanks for your time.

In case it is relevant, this is a new site under a multi-site install. The main site is in the root, and this site is a subdomain.

• jvarn13

Hi,

Kimberly: I removed the custom post-type and re-created it without adding any taxonomies.

Mason: Yes, I have a handful of dummy custom posts in this type. :slight_smile:
    I have each sub-site able to create separate custom types. I also tried on a single WP install without multi-site with the same effect...
    ------
    Ah. I found the problem, and it's from Wordpress not from Custompress. The sub-site which I'm working on is part of a live multi-site network, so I simply marked the dummy posts I was experimenting with as "private" in case anyone should stumble across them. When I was trying this on a non-multisite install I initially made the posts private, but since it it was on a private test installation of WP, on a whim I made them public, and suddenly they appeared on the "parent" drop-down.

A quick test reveals that even with regular Wordpress pages, a page that is published as "Private" cannot be a parent page. Who knew?!

Thank you both for your time.