CustomPress Wierdness - Page Not Found

I'm having some serious trouble with CustomPress. Two main issues on this site:

Three initial considerations:
1. "News" is a custom post type created with CustomPress
2. I am using LoopBuddy from iThemes to control the layout of the custom post type data
3. I have had these issues before on another site as well using LoopBuddy and CustomPress

The Two Issues I'm experiencing:

1. I have the news items paginated, 5 at a time. Randomly (?) moving to another page throws a page not found error. I am using WP-PageNavi for the nice page number links, but this issue existed prior to installing that plugin. Deactivating and reactivating CustomPress seems to solve the problem. But obviously that's not a good solution since it keeps happening.

2. After I added a bunch of news items today, when I click a news item, it will throw a page not found error... although the URL is correct in the address bar. Also, this happens for ALL of the custom post types on the site (projects, news, bible institutes, missionaries... all were created with CustomPress). For this, I've found that if I set permalinks to default and then back to post name (which is what I want it to be), that works most of the time. Again, this is not a good solution since it keeps happening.

I appreciate ANY help on this. Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings nathaningram,

Thank you for the feedback and the details you provided.

Have you by any chance updated Custom Press to version

Have you managed to figure out which plugin is causing the conflict?

If Loop Buddy is disabled does the issue still happen?

If that does not help and the issue still exists, it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question (in this case Custom Press) and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting. You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• nathaningram

* * * * * * * * * * * EDIT * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The problem persists.

It happened again as soon as I edited one of the existing posts in a Custom Post Type.

Due to the nature of the site, I cannot move to Twenty-Eleven, since the CPT queries and layouts are controlled by LoopBuddy and switching to Twenty-Eleven will prevent CPT from being displayed and thus untestable.

- Disable/Enable CustomPress make fixes the pagination, but then breaks the permalinks
    - Resetting permalinks from post title to default and back to post title fixes the permalinks but breaks the pagination

Any ides on what is happening that disabling and enabling CustomPress and resetting permalinks is fixing? And why would adding or editing a post in a cpt cause these issues?

And a final note... I just realized that if I leave the permalinks on Default, there is no issue. But if I use /%postname%/ or even /%category%/%postname%/ the permalinks work but the pagination breaks. Leaving permalinks on default is a fix for the moment, but not a good one for the long term.

Help VERY MUCH APPRECIATED since I'm scheduled to do training with the client tomorrow.

• aecnu

Greetings nathaningram,

Sorry for the delay here, it appears this ticket got away from us in the back of the ticketing system.

You mentioned that when you disabled the redirection plugin that everything works fine.

Is this in fact still true by any chance?

Does this include the permalinks situation mentioned in the post above this one?

Leaving permalinks on default is a fix for the moment, but not a good one for the long term.

Totally agree and I myself like to use /%postname%/ for the permalinks so I certainly understand.

Once I have a clear picture of what is happening here relative to the redirection plugin (is this WPMU Dev's?) then I am going to call in the lead developer on this ticket to get his input but I want to have all the facts of the matter straight.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• nathaningram

Hi Joe...

I'm still having trouble. I worked with the developers of LoopBuddy intensely over the last couple of weeks and they were not able to figure out any issues on their end. They seem to think it's a result of how CustomPress is storing and accessing data in the custom posts and fields.

***It has nothing to do with Redirection***

I have set up a mirror of the site that your devs can experiment with. If you can contact me directly at I can send you access information for them by email.

Thanks for your help.

• aecnu

Greetings nathaningram,

I shall go ahead and see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight to possibly offer his advice/advise us as to what this issue could possibly be.

Though this may take longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Please be sure to have updated to the latest version of Custom Press prior to the lead developers arrival.

Also if the most recent version of Custom Press in fact resolves the issue, please post here asap letting us know.

Cheers, Joe

• nathaningram

I just re-checked everything and even with the newest version of CustomPress, the issue persists with the same cycle...

- When I just went from default permalinks to post title, pagination is broken.
    - When I disable and enable CustomPress, pagination works, but then the permalinks break.
    - Reset the permalinks to default and the permalinks work, but the pagination is broken again.

Please have the dev email me at and I'll give him an admin login to the mirror site so he can see it for himself.

• nathaningram

@Arnold - any progress on this?

FYI, I noticed another conflict today between CustomPress and BackupBuddy, the same developers that make LoopBuddy. With CustomPress active, BackupBuddy will not pop open a js window for some of the settings. Instead, the content goes to the full browser which screws things up.

Could this javascript issue be at the root of the LoopBuddy issue also?

Also, I checked this on a site using CustomPress 1.1.3 and there is no issue with BackupBuddy.

• Arnold

OK I think I've spotted the problem. You created the Custom Post Types with names like news, missionaries etc. Then you created Pages with slugs with exactly the same name. How is the program supposed to decide which page to pull when you put in /news/ ? The Archive page for the custom type or the Page you created? It becomes a toss up which rewrite rule gets picked and which page is displayed because you've created 2 rewrite rules for the same url. That's why it would change randomly when you rewrote the rules for whatever.

What you want is for the Page to win because that's what you have your LoopBuddy running through. You partially realized that because you disabled Has Archive on the PostType in CustomPress, but the slug still interferes.

What you need to do is put in a custom slug in the Post Type ReWrite section which is currently blank, so it's defaulting to the post type name. Put something different than your Page slug, for example "newz" or "the-news" or anything that won't collide. That way your loop buddy page wins everytime and it should run OK.

On the JS thickbox I didn't have any problem pulling it up on There's nothing that should affect thickbox in the CutomPress code.