Daft question about Upfront Builder Plugin

Hi,

This might sound like a daft question - but - do I need Upfront Builder to to edit an Upfront theme?

I ask because I have disabled the Builder plugin on my website and can still click on the Upfront icon in the top admin bar. This still opens the theme in what looks like Builder! It lets me update the theme (it says it's doingso ) but I don't see any way to name or activate that new theme without activating the Builder plugin.

Activating Builder allows me to create a child theme which I name and can edit.

I'm really confused.

Bonus question: is this because I have upgraded to WP 4.7? Are the WPMU Dev tools compatible? In my defence, Defender advised me to upgrade.

Thanks,
Dave

• Nithin

Hey Dave,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

do I need Upfront Builder to to edit an Upfront theme?

Upfront Builder is a plugin which is used to develop themes from scratch. As you have mentioned, it'll let you create child themes of Upfront. Once you have finished developing your theme using the Builder, you can distribute it to other users, and they can activate the new theme, and can customize the theme using Upfront Editor in their dashboard.

Now, what the Upfront Icon on the top admin bar is called the Upfront Editor, they do have a similar interface, but the purpose is different. Upfront Editor is used to customize your theme, all the changes made through the Upfront Editor are per site, and are stored in the database.

For eg: Fixer theme is a child theme of Upfront, you can click the Upfront Editor to customize the theme according to your needs. If you want to create new theme from scratch, you'll have to make use of Upfront Builder. If your task is only to customize our existing themes, you don't have to use Upfront Builder.

Bonus question: is this because I have upgraded to WP 4.7? Are the WPMU Dev tools compatible? In my defence, Defender advised me to upgrade.

No, this is not related to WP 4.7. WPMU DEV Plugins are compatible with WP 4.7. Upgrading to the latest version will only help make your system secure, so Defender did advise you right. :slight_smile:

Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.