Daily Theme, how do I display posts on the front page? Do I need WPMU?

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to BuddyPress and the Daily Theme and to WPMU Dev -so I have a lot of scope to screw something up!

So far I have uploaded and installed WP. Installed BuddyPress. Joined WPMU Dev and downloaded the BP Daily theme. I've installed the theme and activated the Daily child version.

Now I'm just playing around with trying to get posts to diplay on the home page. I created a few sample categories and test posts but they do not appear on my home page: http://www.sendingsmiles.com.au.

I know it's a small and simple thing, but myhead is swimmign with so much new info right now!

Thank you for any advice.

• Darren
    • Flash Drive

Ok. Sorry for the silly questions above. Maybe I should hav elooked in the theme options first...

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to point me in the direction of some instructions on how to set up video and slideshows for the main page picture area?

• exberry
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Tammie,

I watched your video but I have a problem:

Selecting by category brings posts but no pictures. If I could select by groups then the picture would be the group avatar. Also, for me, a category is merely an ID to subject content. Readers of my site will prefer to keep up with key groups.

Is there any way to insert content from key groups into the wall or other home displays?

How did you end up getting photos out of categories?

Thanks,

Ed

Making lots of progress at usa1buzz.com

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@exberry: Let me clarify what you are after as I think there is some confusion as to what the Daily theme actually does:

1. You want to show groups and also posts from other blogs on your front page - this isn't possible with the theme it's only pulling for the main blog it's attached to not the network.

2. There is no way to insert content from groups into the wall or home display you would have to look at customisation or our site wide plugins:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-comments-widget

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-posts-widget

3. A category IF it has posts and IF it is on the main blog and IF it has images will show images in the content columns format and spotlight ... otherwise not sure what you are referring to.

• tonydbaker
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

This was something that I was hoping to have too. IE: say 100 bloggers, but I could pick from my favorites and feature them on the home page.

However, now that I think about it. This could be accomplished with a guset blogger style plugin. I know I've tried one before and it would be perfect for this, I just don't remember what it was called.

Basically, you would have certain approved blogs, one your mu site most likely, and you could tell it to auto-post or auto-draft the content daily from an rss feed.

-Tony

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.