dashboard and unlimited site license

Hi,
I just purchased a year - obviously who wouldn't at this price. (didn't tell anyone)
But as a developer I want to use the plugins on multiple sites and you say I can, but I have to install the dashboard, do I have to login with my account on other peoples sites? Or do they need to be my site to use them so I don't give them access to my account?
Or can I create a dashboard login for other sites, that gives access to use only the plugins I install, - but so they can be updated.

I'm really sorry if I wasn't very clear in describing my question. Hope you follow and well.. hope for the best possible answer :slight_smile:

Thanks
Lykke

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Lykke!

I think I follow you here, and I can help.

The most efficient way is to create an admin account for yourself on each of your client sites with the same email you use here on DEV, and then install the dashboard while logged into that account. That will limit the WPMU DEV dashboard to only show for you, by default.

You can allow other users to access the dashboard, but at this time, we don't have a stripped down version for non-member admins, it's an all or nothing sort of situation. To do this, add line of code below to your wp-config file and replace the numbers with the member IDs to which you want to show the dashboard.

define(“WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER”, “1, 10");

Take care!

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Lykke!

The installed plugin list will be visible to all admins, yes, but they won't be able to add new WPMU dev plugins or access any part of the WPMU DEV dashboard, that will only show for your account. Not-you Admins will be able to deactivate or delete any active plugin, or add new plugins from the WordPress repository, or via upload.

If you'd like to limit access to already installed plugins, we've got a few work arounds we can use here. Our Easy Blogging plugin is great at stripping down the admin dashboard options for users who don't want to or need to see everything. It's not bulletproof, however, admins can toggle Easy Mode on and off.

Before I worked here full time, I did a lot of work for clients, and in lieu of trying to make the dashboard completely bulletproof (I never figured out a 100% effective way to stop a determined and enthusiastic, if less than tech-savvy, admin from touching things they shouldn't) I always took a full backup of their site + database as soon as I had everything working, so I had a restore point in case of emergency. I made sure all my past clients had a way to find me if they needed me, and when I retired from freelance I passed those clients on to active contractors to pick up where I left off, along with my library of backups.

Does this help? Do you need a more comprehensive plan here?

Thanks for your questions, and take care!

• Lykke

Hi,

Thanks very helpful :slight_smile:

I am just changing the subject a tiny bit but still in relation to the dashboard and admins.

If I create a multisite network, and want some of these plugins to be on all of them, how do I manage this? I don't know if I'm able to automatically create a base admin they can't touch which has the dashboard installed (or we can hide that user from user list).
    And will I be able to have plugins automatically installed - like the dashboard, once a site is created on the network, or do I need to manually install plugins for each site? (I am talking about a lot of sites).

It's related to hosting plugins, maybe they include some settings for installing plugins and dashboard on multisite registrations?

Thanks again
    Lykke

• Jude

Hey Lykke,

Sorry the response took a while longer than expected. Appreciate your patience. Looks like Michelle is really busy and this one slipped through the gaps, I'm gonna take the liberty of chipping in here.

If I create a multisite network, and want some of these plugins to be on all of them, how do I manage this? I don't know if I'm able to automatically create a base admin they can't touch which has the dashboard installed (or we can hide that user from user list).

You could network activate such plugins and they will be available throughout the site.

And will I be able to have plugins automatically installed - like the dashboard, once a site is created on the network, or do I need to manually install plugins for each site? (I am talking about a lot of sites).

Not at all, most plugins can be installed once and be available throughout the site. Although some may need to be configured on a site by site basis. You can take this further with a plugin like

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

Using it to put standardized data and themes/content on all these site as soon as they are registered.

Cheers
    Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.