Dashboard broken after eNewsletter Update

I upgraded the plugin to v. 2.2.3 and was unable to edit previous newsletters—the newsletter would not preview, and clicking in the content area would do nothing. I attempted to create a new newsletter and clicking on the content tab would collapse the entire editing sidebar.

I deactivated and reactivated the plugin and now my whole dashboard throws the white screen of death. I deleted the plugin folder, optimized and repaired all db tables and am still unable to access any page of the dashboard on the site where e-newsletter had been activated.

The front end of the site remains functional and dashboards for other sites on the network appear to be unaffected.

1. How can I go about getting my dashboard back?

2. Any thoughts on getting e-newsletter to work are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have the following related tables in the db:

• PC

Hello there,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I deactivated and reactivated the plugin and now my whole dashboard throws the white screen of death. I deleted the plugin folder, optimized and repaired all db tables and am still unable to access any page of the dashboard on the site where e-newsletter had been activated.

Can you kindly enable WP_DEBUG to True in your wp-config.php file and see if you see any errors on the frontend ? It might give us a direction.

Also, can you please check for a plugin conflict using the attached screenshot

?

Please advise.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• jcnjr

enable WP_DEBUG to True in your wp-config.php

This is the first thing I did this morning after giving up lat night. (Brilliant minds clearly do think alike.) Unfortunately, it didn't help much.

On the front end, I got the error:
    Notice: Constant PLUGINDIR already defined in /home/agredac/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pricing-table/pricing-table.php on line 22

In the dashboard, I get that and:
    Notice: Undefined index: cforms2_tellafriend in /home/agredac/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cforms/cforms.php on line 1699

After compressing the folders for both of those plugins, the dashboard pages are still blank. :-\

With no access to the plugins page, I'll need to follow your troubleshooting diagram by removing the plugin directories, but I'm not sure how that will affect things since they have not been properly deactivated.

I can't help but think this is related to the e-newsletter update. Where in the db might I look for something indicating that e-newsletter is still activated? I'm wondering if things are hanging up since the folder is now gone.

Thanks!

• jcnjr

OK, I got my dashboard back!

The enewsletter-sync.php file was clearly the problem. I'll assume that functionality is now built in to the plugin.

Now, I'm back to the problem that started this all. Clicking on the Content section collapses the editing sidebar. See screenshot. Clicking it again, expands the sidebar again, but hides the Content section. So, editing a newsletter is impossible. Issue occurs in Firefox, Chrome and Safari. And I have ruled out plugin conflicts following the procedures above.

Any suggestions about this issue?

• PC

Hiya,

Thanks for posting back.

Now, I'm back to the problem that started this all. Clicking on the Content section collapses the editing sidebar. See screenshot. Clicking it again, expands the sidebar again, but hides the Content section. So, editing a newsletter is impossible. Issue occurs in Firefox, Chrome and Safari. And I have ruled out plugin conflicts following the procedures above.

This is kinda strange. I have not seen it on my lab site as I just tested. Perhaps due to my screen resolution.

Did you already test it with the default WordPress 2012 theme ? And with other plugins disabled ?

Do you see any errors on the page ? You can check that by Ctrl+Shift+J

Please advise.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• jcnjr

After further troubleshooting I discovered a conflict with the cforms II plugin also loading tinymce editor. I turned that off and the collapsing sidebar issue no longer occurred. Even with that plugin deactivated, however, another issue remains...

There is no live preview when editing a newsletter. The preview shows when first creating a newsletter. But after saving and reload of the page there is no preview, though editing is possible. The only way to preview it is via send test email.

The only error on the page is a permissions issue:
    POST agreda.com 403 Forbidden agreda.com

This is Interesting because no directory is specified and I'm having no problem editing, previewing or publishing blog posts and products.

I also get the following warning, regardless of which newsletter theme is selected.

Thanks in advance for help figuring this out!

• jcnjr

Thanks PC!

We did do some server level security tightening recently after undergoing some attacks, so I wonder if any settings might be throwing the 403. Not knowing the specifics, I presumed the permissions error was file-based but I can't tell which directory if that is the case.

This did make troubleshooting difficult as I kept getting my IP address blocked after throwing the POST error multiple times.

I can't help but wonder if anyone else has a problem with the Newsletter Preview... Anyone?

• PC

I have not seen any issues like the one you are facing. I doubt it might be the permissions issue.

As you have tested with the default theme and all the other plugins disabled, and still facing the same issue, it can be related to permissions.

Lets see what @Maniu has to say about it.

BTW, in the meantime, would it be possible for you to create a fresh WP install (test site) on the same server and see if you face the same issue on that site too ?

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• jcnjr

@PC I did test on our dev install with the same results as noted above. A totally fresh install may not happen anytime soon. Sorry, we just currently have lots higher priorities and I may just start using Mailchimp for the newsletter in question here.

@Maniu I'm honestly not certain about all the various security changes we recently implemented. Would the POST error be thrown by a directory/file permissions issue? If so what directory? I can investigate and resolve that, but anything else I may need to inquire with my server manager.

Thank you both for you efforts!

• jcnjr

Thanks again for your time on this @Maniu

I was able to edit, save and publish various changes using the theme customizer with the live preview showing every time.

The only entry in the debug_log is various instances of the following while I loaded the Newsletters page, clicked he Edit button and made changes (without the preview):

[30-Jul-2013 03:02:36 UTC] PHP Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or init hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /home/agredac/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2962

One thing I have noticed, is a difference in how the theme customizer and newsletter editor pages load. With the theme customizer, every time an edit is made on the left the page/tab reload progress indicator will spin, and the live preview will then show the edit. When editing a newsletter (sans preview), the page loads once and the indicator in the tab stops spinning. No matter how much editing is done the reload indicator never spins and the preview pane remains blank.

Hope this helps!

• Maniu

Hey

I am sorry this problem is so hard to solve, i believe something like this is very uncommon.

generally this is the biggest problem:
    POST agreda.com 403 Forbidden agreda.com

Would it be possible to ask your host about it?

something is for whatever reason blocking AJAX call and i am wondering why it is happening just in our customizer.

What kind of browser are you using? did you try another one?

Thanks,
    Maniu

• jcnjr

Issue occurs in Firefox, Safari and Chrome.

The only reference to e-newsletter in our error logs is:

[27-Jul-2013 06:10:17 UTC] WordPress database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT option_value FROM wp_options WHERE option_name = 'widget_e_newsletter_subscribe' LIMIT 1 made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('init'), call_user_func_array, wp_widgets_init, do_action('widgets_init'), call_user_func_array, WP_Widget_Factory->_register_widgets, WP_Widget->_register, WP_Widget->get_settings, get_option

:disappointed: Not sure if this is related. I've never seen such a "gone away" error and we're not even using any subscribe widget on this site.

• Maniu

Hey @jcnjr

I have just released new version but unfortunately i dont believe i was able to solve it - i dont know why it is happening - now i think something might be wrong with storing details into db... could you look into it?

Above error is connected to widget and it is connected with core WP function - it may indicate that something is wrong with db. Do you have a low timeout or something?

Thanks,
    Maniu