Dashboard for multisite users?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what is the appropriate default dashboard for a multisite (non-main) user?

I've set up some test blogs for new users/bloggers but the dashboard I see within has access to settings that should be reserved for admin, such as:

Widgets (i.e. certain ones that are useful only for community hub front page)
Add new user (with admin access!)
Settings (bbforums, i.e. can rename forum/topic slugs)
Q&A plugin (add new question categories/tags)

What do I need to do to restrict access to such things? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Ryan

• aecnu

Greetings Ryan :slight_smile:

it is my opinion sir that it is not that you are doing something wrong, it is your concept of how this works needs adjustment :slight_smile:

How this works with Multi Site and as you mentioned the Sub-Sites is that they are each a complete site within themselves.

So lets take a quick example - I am Joe Schmoe and I sign up to your site, creating my blog schmoe.yourmaindomain.com - if I cannot add users to my blog how will people comment?

How can I design my look if I cannot access the widgets etc. etc.

You tell me I cannot - why can't I - it is my site is it not?

I hope you are kind of getting the idea :slight_smile:

Now to have some control over signups etc. to your main site/blog I would recommend you use Pro Sites, even if you are going to offer free blogs/sites - this way you can control what plugins and themes are available to the sub sites :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings rakasaww :slight_smile:

What is the rationale for allowing a sub-site user to add a user with admin access? Because I can do that on my sub-site.

That gives them administration access to only that sub-site - not the entire network.

real example: Peter one of my employees and right hand man I want administering a certain sub-site for me, adding products etc. He is not the Network Administrator nor do I want him to be. With access as a subscriber role he cannot do this. Hence one of the possible purposes and uses of assigning someone administrator of the sub site :slight_smile: Of course other levels of access can be controlled by assigning roles and using a roles management plugin.

why would a sub-site user be allowed to alter forum admin settings?

Well I do not think they can.

Please tell me that you had cleared your cookies while not being logged into the main network - you logged into the sub site as a regular user "subscriber" - and you were able to modify or alter the forum admin setting?

Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings rakasaww,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.